Skip to main content

When the Lass I was Loving for Years Finally said Yes!: Episode 3


Episode 3 (Final): The D-Day

Presently, both of our families were aware of our relationship. Akos was an only daughter, but not an only child, as she had a brother who was as fine as herself. It seemed to me that fineness ran throughout the family--from dad to mum to children. Akos was much like her mother, and her brother, Yaw, who was older than her, took the form of her father. I had met Yaw a couple of times on campus, when he used to come visit her dear sister. As time elapsed, I became a family friend to the Sarpongs.

The D-day finally arrived. I went to Akos’ residence to pick her up for our much anticipated Friday night time-out. Luckily for us it was a holiday, so we both had time to rest from the week’s busi-ness. Of course, holidays bring some delight to those whose weekly schedules are largely occupied by work or school--and without a doubt, the greater joy goes to our dear students.

Operation Neptune arrived at her residence in a black Chevrolet Cruze. Delighted I was, to see her--all ready. She was in a beehive hairstyle and a cherry-red floor-length maxi dress with a white rose-like embroidery a little above the left side of her chest; over a pair of black stiletto shoes. I was in my Giorgio Armani tuxedo: white jacket atop black trousers, with my pair of black Armani shoes matching perfectly and glittering like gold; but not more than my bright countenance.
‘‘You look simply gorgeous in your outfit tonight. You must be the Princess of Caraba.’’
‘’How about you Prince Charming?  You look gracefully elegant in your G.A. suit.’’
We both laughed, and after further pleasantries, we made headway.

The cool breeze of the weather was so refreshing, plus, the cool music that was playing in the vehicle intensified the feeling. ‘‘Can you feel the love tonight?’’, the song played as we also sang along, gently. I knew the song’s lyrics so well that I didn’t miss even a single word or line. I specially selected it for tonight’s respite. Whoever told the two of us to prepare this way for such a personally important event tonight surely must have been excited with how things were progressing smoothly.

At 7:00 pm, we arrived at the magnificent Sparkles restaurant, made sure our car was properly parked, and then I proceeded to open the door for the Princess of Caraba. ''This is so gentleman of you, Charming Prince’’, Akos remarked, in a sweet soft tone. ‘’Anything for the Princess of Caraba’’, I replied, adding a slight bow.

Sparkles was in the heart of the capital city, and because of the holiday, it was close to full at the time we got there; but luckily we had made a table reservation. The interior of the edifice was like the City of Lights; the music from the live band was euphoniously soothing, the tiled floor was just colourful; the crystal ceramic dishes, the metallic cutlery chiming rhythmically as they moved up and down; the dancing couples, the charming aura, the place was simply exquisite. Moreover, they had excellent service, both dining-wise and reception-wise.

We were welcomed by the hospitable waiters. After we had showed them our reservation number, they led us to our seat for two people, which was a few steps away from the main entrance of the restaurant. We then ordered a meal of our favourite jollof rice with chicken cacciatore and some green topping; but before the main course, we asked for a starter to whet our appetite. I wasn’t surprised they had this type of chicken on their menu, it was indeed an international restaurant in a local setting. We talked along as we ate, recalling some memories from our uni days and how far we’ve come in our relationship. We were pleasantly passing the time.

When we finished eating the meal, I asked for her hand and we made it to the dance floor. I signalled to the live band leader to play us a cool salsa music, which he and his team did. With my arm behind the lass and the same on the lad’s shoulder, as the others fore limbs clung together and moved in the air, we danced salsamically for about 5 minutes. Previously, I had shown her a YouTube video on how to do the dance, wherefrom she got interested and we learned and practised it.

To our surprise, the rest of the diners and restaurant attendees had been watching and they gave us a resounding applause when we finished off in an elegant manner. We were quite pleased with ourselves but kept a cool head; my morale was boosted. After we had resumed our seat and were quite away from public attention, I ordered a drink of Chianti (as a dessert) while we engaged in a convo.

I was feeling quite nervous within not knowing how to go about my proposal stunt. But before this day, I had been practising and watching online videos on some of the best available proposal styles, both antique and modern, yet I wanted to do it my own way; though I picked a few cues from my rehearsal. I looked striaght into her eyes with all the force of boldness and manliness that was within me:

Me: Mmm, ermm, Akos.
Akos: Kwame, are you OK?
Me: I’m very well bae, just that…
Akos: Go on dearest, I’m all ears. Would you want any more thing?
Me: Oh not really. You know, we’ve been good friends since uni days. The way we got acquainted, how our friendship started, how you’ve been good to me [sobs slightly], how far we’ve come in our relationship. All this was possible because of mutual understanding and respect, and above all, love. Akos, you are any gentleman’s dream bride--caring, loving, understanding, hardworking, smart, I couldn't wish for anyone else. [Took out a ring from the front pocket of his jacket, knelt on one leg]. My loyal lady, My royal baby, will you marry me, Akosua Sapomaa Sarpong? Will you be my Cinderella and live with me happily ever after?
Akos: [Stunned for a moment as from intense surprise and excitement, with her palm to her mouth, briefly] Yes, yes. I will marry you, Kwame Nartey, my Prince Charming.
Me: [Put ring on her finger, hugged her warmly and kissed her lightly]

Thereafter, when we had settled the bill and left Sparkles, I drove her back home safe and sound while I made sure I reached home safely too. After a number of ‘’I love you’’ exchanges, I arrived home. I felt all triumphant the whole of the night. I felt very much fulfilled, knowing that, after years of friendship and sacrifice,
At last, the lass I’ve was loving for years , finally said, yes!

Written by Bright Rockson

For our cherished readers

Have you enjoyed our miniseries so far? What do you make of it? Kindly share with us in the comment section below. We'd love to hear from you.

Episode 1 available here.
Episode 2 also available.

Visit our Home Page to engage other interesting material. We are glad you are here.

Comments

Post a Comment

See Also

Alternate Building Materials Used in The Construction Industry

PC: theconstructor.org Alternate building materials are those which can be used economically by replacing the conventional building materials. Alternate building materials are made from waste products and thus they minimize environmental pollution. These alternate building materials can be used when they meet their respective specifications in the code of practice. Here are some novel construction materials and technology, with some briefly discussed: Aluminum Bitumen Materials Soil Conditioning Agents Tempered Glass Crumb Rubber Fiber Reinforced Polymer Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics Bamboo reinforced plastics Ferro-cement Polyester Fibers ALUMINIUM sound-proof-aluminium-construction. PC: theconstructor.org More than 3000 commercialized applications. 35 percent aluminum produced is used in construction. Non-Corrosive. High durability and low maintenance. Can be alloyed. Ductile and malleable. Aesthetically attractive. Applications of Aluminum In

Personality of The Week: Mr Ebo Quansah

Mr Ebo Quansah, Personality of The Week To  begin this month's Alumni Awareness session of the Personality Dialogue a former Teaching Assistant of the Department. He is an old student of GSTS in Takoradi. He tells us about himself and shares with us some knowledge and experience so far. Enjoy the read. Who is Mr Ebo Quansah?  Ebo-Quansah is the second born among five siblings. I was born and brought up in Manso-Wassa, where I had my basic education. I am that individual who is interested in researching into scientific problems. What was your experience like in secondary school? I had my Secondary school education at Ghana Senior High Technical School (GSTS). And you can attest to the fact that GSTS is one of the finest second cycle institutions in the country. Besides the quality of academic work, the high level of discipline the school instigates into its students really helped shape my life. For that I will always be proud of my alma mater. Talking of fond memories, I