Skip to main content

When The Lass I Was Loving for Years Finally Said Yes!: Episode 1

PC: Pinterest

Episode 1: Getting Acquainted

I sent her a text on WhatsApp, ‘‘Bae, we’ve got a date on Friday night at Sparkles.’’ I’m sure she would have thought it would be one of our usual rendezvous, where we would chit-chat all night long talking about ourselves, among other matters, and getting a bit amorous sometimes, hahaha. But behind the scenes, something spectacular was boiling. She sent a reply, ‘’OK boo. I’m anticipating and will prepare in advance. Love youuu.’’ ‘’Love you bunch,’’ I responded. I was also preparing ahead for this big day where I would pop the question to the love of my life. I couldn’t wait for that grand day--the D-day--to declare myself to my better half. You could imagine all the sponging and grooming that would go in on my side; and on the other side too, well, I couldn’t really guess. ’’Anticipate’’ was the only option.

Akos was a lovely and comely young woman. She was beautiful in every sense of the word. She was tall (I was taller), fair in complexion (while I was chocolate-skinned), well-endowed (my somewhat muscular body could match up); in short, she had all the elements of beauty homogeneously mixed in a balanced configuration--like the first woman God created. I bet you would look her twice, or even thrice, or more. Sometimes, I wondered what material she was created with--maybe out of sapphire or aquamarine, but certainly not silica, hihihi. But aside all her physical attributes, she was lovingly caring, understanding, smart and very hardworking; plus, she had a good sense of humour--she could even crack a rib-tickling joke out of an obviously boring situation. She was the woman every gentleman would want to have as a lifetime companion, a perpetual significant other--a graceful and elegant being indeed. My love for her matured as time passed.

On how we met, I would say it was by divine orchestration. We became friends during our university days, at the prestigious Adinkrahene Institute of Science and Technology (AIST). She was a junior coursemate (2 years behind me); I was in my third year then, and at the same time the Department PRO. Our department was under COLET (College of Engineering Technology). We first saw each other after a department meeting of the Association of Students of Ceramics Technology (ASCET); it was our inaugural meeting for the academic year, few weeks after we had begun the first semester. While trying to get familiar with some of the attendees of the meeting after we had closed, she particularly caught my attention. I walked up to her and introduced myself. ‘’Hi, Kwame here, ASCET PRO’’, was my prelude. She followed with, ‘’I’m Akos, first-year C-Tech, and I’m pleased to meet you’’. After some minutes of ‘intro-talks’, we exchanged contacts and got acquainted thereafter.

As time elapsed and our acquaintance deepened, she would usually call me up to assist her with assignments and help her understand some of the courses, especially Principles of Glass Science. Gracefully, I had an ‘A’ in Principles so it wasn’t much of a problem to me. I only needed to revise so I could better assist her; I had to sharpen the somewhat blunt knife, to make a good cut. So, while I learnt my current notes, I would revise the old one too, just to assist this new friend of mine settle on. It wasn’t easy, trying to kill two birds with one stone (or a rock if you want), but I suppose it was worth it. She would gladly show to me her score after the marked assignments were released. She would say, ‘’Thanks Kwame, I appreciate your help.’’ My simple reply was, ‘’I’m glad to help, Akos.’’ She got so elated when I helped her successfully complete her first year take-home project which was focused on identifying and solving a community problem whose solution was peculiar to our field of study. She literally gift-washed me after her remarkable success--she got an ‘A’. And of course, I was happy too.

Our friendship solidified with time, gradually transiting from a glassy phase of mere acquaintance to a stronger, more crystalline chemistry. She would often invite me over for a meal at her Adehye Nsroma apartment which was about 100 metres from the western entrance of campus. The first time I was in her room, I noticed it was quite spacious, almost twice the size of mine. It was stuffed with a tabletop fridge, a flat-screen TV fixed to the wall opposite her bed, well-furnished kitchen and washroom, a sleek wardrobe, a three-seater couch, and some other items--her room was an exquisite chamber. It was always tidy anytime I was there; she shared it with her roommate--Kafui, a second-year Forensics student. The duo were really good roomies.

As a gesture of mutual kindness and friendship, I would also sometimes invite Akos to my place, AIST Hostel, to have a taste of ‘bemankwan’, and sometimes, watch movies. It was as if our internal bond energies were concatenating us faster than we knew--from ‘Hi’’ to assignment to food to…let’s go on. I sometimes wondered where this would lead to. I would say to myself, ‘’Take control man’’, at other times too, ‘’Let fate decide.’’ It was like a battle within. But deep within I knew that I had to exercise patience. ‘’You like her, don’t you?; Well, I think I do; I don’t really know; What if she has a boyfriend?; What if she doesn’t?; Let me shoot my shot,’’ were some conflicting thoughts that juggled in my head.

Somewhere in second semester, I asked her out to the most popular campus-based ice cream parlour, Chilly Bowl. She was quite skeptical about going out with me for the first time, but later she consented. On one cool Sunday evening, after it had rained cat and dogs the previous day, our set date arrived. I had my roommate scrutinize my dressing and style to make sure I was fit for the occasion, before I stepped out to Akos’ apartment. I was in a Levi's jeans and a blue-black Lacoste polo shirt with white stripes, over a pair of white-soled black Levi's  shoes. ‘’This your dressing deɛ, e make you look more than Chelsea demma coach oo,’’ my roomie said jokingly. We all laughed over it. After I called Akos to inform her of my coming to her place, I set out. I reached her apartment in about five minutes and I had to wait another five minutes so she could finish dressing up. I patiently waited because I knew ladies take time. She came out of her room looking all-gorgeous in her multicoloured maxi dress atop a pair of black low heels. She met me with acute smiles and I smiled back beamishly.

Me: You look good.
Akos: Thank you Kwame.
Me: ‘’Shall we?’’
Akos: Why shawent we?
She jested. And we laughed it over, as we headed for Chilly Bowl.

We got to Chilly Bowl around 7:00pm. Luckily, we had a seat at the spot where I wanted, somewhere at the back (no ulterior motive, hahaha). Quite a number of students were around with their soul mates drinking up and conversing heartily. I saw Kafui, with his guy, but I’m sure she didn’t see us; they were having a good time and I didn’t want to bother them. Akos, on the other hand, was observing the antique yet stylish wooden tables and chairs of the place and its warm and attractive aura. Chilly Bowl was a great hangout for settled and budding lovers. It could take up to about 40 people at time. It was always tidy, with a bright lighting system, a terrazzoed floor, transparent glass windows, among other features; moreover, they had other mini-joints on campus but we were at main place--at the HQ. I’m certain the environment reminded Akos of her recherché room. She might have missed their (Kafui and her guy’s) presence as she observed the place.

Me: It’s your first time here, I guess.
Akos: Yeah, you are right. How did you know?
Me: I could tell from how you were visually inspecting the place.
Akos: Hahaha. One Sherlock Holmes.
Me: Lol, this pressure nawa oo. Let’s get to the seat.

I asked Akos to sit as I went to one of the attendants to get two cups of vanilla ice cream. I wasn’t sure what she wanted, so I went back to ask her and she said any extract was fine. So I brought her vanilla too, with some gelato topping (or peach would have been better?). ‘’First date, don’t mess up boy’’ was the subvocal admonition. We got into a table talk of getting to know more about each other, experiences from high school, life in AIST, our future plans (work and marriage life) and other matters. We did well to keep our conversation modest and frank. She would occasionally bring up something funny while we talked. I also did well to crack my best jokes, hihihi. We laughed over and over.

We were carried away in our convo and before we realized, it was half past ten; we’ve spent over three hours--on first date alone. Though we were deeply immersed, we had to quickly bring our interesting causerie to a close and continue later. When I wanted to pay the bill, she asked that we shared the the payment. I wanted to decline but she persisted and I gave in. ‘’What are friends for,’’ she remarked. We left Chilly Bowl happy and elated, and I had to escort her to Adehye Nsroma, her apartment, after which I retired to my room--tired, yet fulfilled. She called the next day to thank me for everything. This time around, my response was, ‘’Don’t mention it, dear.’’ Something was boiling? Kwao, my roommate, saw me beaming with smiles as I entered the room and he asked, ‘’Boy, how e go?’’ I replied, ‘’Oh boy, e go on well oo. I taya sef, make I bed den tinup early give morrow ein quiz.’’ Off I went to bed, hoping to wake up early enough to prepare for a Cement Technology quiz the next day.

Anticipate Episode 2!!! #fiction #romance

Comments

Post a Comment

See Also

Alternate Building Materials Used in The Construction Industry

PC: theconstructor.org Alternate building materials are those which can be used economically by replacing the conventional building materials. Alternate building materials are made from waste products and thus they minimize environmental pollution. These alternate building materials can be used when they meet their respective specifications in the code of practice. Here are some novel construction materials and technology, with some briefly discussed: Aluminum Bitumen Materials Soil Conditioning Agents Tempered Glass Crumb Rubber Fiber Reinforced Polymer Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics Bamboo reinforced plastics Ferro-cement Polyester Fibers ALUMINIUM sound-proof-aluminium-construction. PC: theconstructor.org More than 3000 commercialized applications. 35 percent aluminum produced is used in construction. Non-Corrosive. High durability and low maintenance. Can be alloyed. Ductile and malleable. Aesthetically attractive. Applications of Aluminum In...

New 'Artificial Leaf' That Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel

Scientists have created an “artificial leaf” to fight climate change by inexpensively converting harmful carbon dioxide (CO2) into a useful alternative fuel. The new technology, outlined in a paper published on November 4, 2019, in the journal Nature Energy, was inspired by the way plants use energy from sunlight to turn carbon dioxide into food. “We call it an artificial leaf because it mimics real leaves and the process of photosynthesis,” said Yimin Wu, an engineering professor at the University of Waterloo who led the research. “A leaf produces glucose and oxygen. We produce methanol and oxygen.” Making methanol from carbon dioxide, the primary contributor to global warming, would both reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide a substitute for the fossil fuels that create them. The key to the process is a cheap, optimized red powder called cuprous oxide. An hour-long chemical reaction creates the engineered red powder that is the key to new technology to tur...

Personality of The Week: Prof. Samuel Kwofie

Prof. Samuel Kwofie To end this month's Personality Dialogue is the first Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in Ghana, Prof. Samuel Kwofie. He shares with us his rich knowledge and experience. Enjoy the read as you learn along. PROFILE Prof. Samuel Kwofie is the first professor of Materials Science and Engineering in the country. He lectures at the Department of Materials Engineering at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. He is the immediate past Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, formerly the Faculty of Chemical and Materials Engineering. He is an alumnus of Independence Hall in KNUST and Ghana Senior High Technical School (GSTS-Takoradi). He hails from Elmina in the Central Region. His skills and expertise include Powder Metallurgy, X-ray Diffraction, Mechanical Testing, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Failure Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Experimentation, Characterization, Electron Microscopy, among others. ...

History of Man As Determined by The Prevailing Materials Technology of a Particular Era

Compiled by Abena Osei-Anane   [5 min read] The ages of materials technology - PC: pininterest.cl Earth’s beginnings can be traced back 4.5 billion years ago, but human evolution only counts for a tiny speck of its history. The pre-history period where there was no documentation of human activities roughly dates from about 2-5 million years ago to 600BC and is categorised in three archaeological periods: the Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age . These periods are characterised by the prevailing Materials Technology present at a particular time. STONE AGE Getty images The Stone Age was the first age and the longest, from 30,000BC to 3,000BC. This era was marked by the use of stones to make tools and weapons . During the paleolithic period, early humans lived in small caves and were mostly hunters. They used basic stone tools as well as stone axes for hunting birds and other wild animals. They were the first to leave behind art by carving small figurines from stones,...

The 'thinking metal': Shape Memory Alloy

Nitinol wires. PC: Wikpedia By Francis Agyemang, Member of the Editorial Team, MATESA KNUST We are the intelligent metal alloys !!! Yes! People prefer to call us shape memory alloys and it is the name we well deserve. We never forget our shape when thermal or mechanical load is exerted on us. Once the load is removed, we regain our pre-deformed shape. Our thermal deformation is very unique, unlike other metals, we deform under low temperatures and regain our shapes upon heating. Our effect (shape memory effect) was first discovered in an alloy of gold and cadmium (AuCd) by Swedish physicist Arne Olander in 1932. 2D view of nitinol's crystalline structure during cooling/heating cycle The two most prevalent smart alloys are copper-aluminium-nickel (CuAlNi) and nickel-titanium ( Nitinol). Though we have many uses and potential applications, we are commonly used in mending broken bones and making of dental braces. A nitinol paperclip bent and recovered aft...

Vibranium - The Wonder of Wakanda

Black Panther wearing Vibranium suit. PC: ucf.edu If you've ever thought that the Vibranium metal used in the Black Panther movie is a real material, you're possibly mistaken. What is Vibranium? Sourced from a meteorite that landed in Wakanda many centuries ago, Vibranium provides the superpower in the main character’s suit, absorbing energy and redistributing it. Vibranium (/vaɪˈbreɪniəm/) is a fictional metal appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, noted for its extraordinary abilities to absorb, store, and release large amounts of kinetic energy. Mined only in Wakanda, the metal is associated with Black Panther, who wears a suit of vibranium, and with Captain America, who bears a vibranium-steel alloy shield which has never been reproduced. Real-world Material In 2016, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies developed a real-world smart composite material that they named Vibranium. The lightweight carbon fiber material for the Hyperloop ...

The Quality of Locally-manufactured Cornmill Grinding Plates

Corn mill A KNUST research has revealed people who consume corn-related foods risk contracting all kinds of cancers According to the research, the locally manufactured machine used to grind the corn into dough food wears off faster into the dry maize, thus contaminating it. A study by two lead researchers at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) has revealed that consumers of corn-related foods risk contracting all kinds of cancers. The research was undertaken by Prof. Kwofie, who is the Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering (former) of the College of Engineering, and Dr. Anthony Andrews (now Professor) , the Head of Department (former)  for Materials Engineering . The study found that the metals used for the milling plates usually wear off when the food products are being grinded. This, the study said, opens consumers to the risk of contracting cancer, since the metals contain 'iron overloads' which are poisonous. ...

Be A Survivor -- A Poem By F. Agyemang

Many across the globe are bearing the brunt of Covid19. Some who haven't experienced it can't really imagine its consequences on people and economies. Let us thus relieve ourselves of the stress with this exhilarating poetic piece by @cocajuana_pens You can call me Covid I'm more dangerous than conflict I have no limit And I kill without mercy Cos I have no vaccine Just don't dare me I might end your destiny I'm so wicked! But you can avoid me Stay at home Give a distance And do no hommies For instance If you have to sneeze or cough Just cover it off Don't do it raw Else it'll be an issue So kindly use a tissue Hand washing should be regular That's the normal routine Do it with soap under running water Even if you haven't eaten Wondering how to keep clean? Use a hand sanitizer Just like many diseases I know I won't last forever A vaccine will be made And I will be slayed Until then, you have to be a survivor ...

Aims of the Materials And Metallurgical Engineering Students' Association

The aims of MATESA are a set of five targets on which the wheels of MATESA run. These are visionary goals we strive to achieve as the years pass by; the purpose of our very existence as an association. Below are the aims of our great association, and we all have a part to play to keep MATESA going! 1. Package, promote, and encourage Materials and Metallurgical Engineering education through symposia, industrial trips, conference, exchange programmes and also to carry out our role in the national and technological development as well as the world of science and inventions. Students at an industrial trip Students pose a picture at a field trip 2. Provision of assistance to both the department and its members when the need arises; and also the contribution of our quota to GESA. Our footballers at the Engineering Premier League (EPL) 3. To provide the students with the platform to obtain practical knowledge concerning the programme. Students exhibit their indus...
 Meet our personality of the week,our Immediate Past President Mr.Samuel Kweku Afari Can you tell us about yourself?   I am Samuel Kweku Afari, born on the 4th of March 1998. I am 23 years of age and I pride myself to be the only child of my parents. I come from Abesim in the Bono Region where I started the earlier part of my junior high education at Sacred Heart Preparatory School.  I moved to Tarkwa to continue my junior education at Golden Age School complex and that is where I had my Basic Education Certificate after completion in 2014. By God’s grace, I went on to have my senior high school education at St John’s School in Sekondi where I read General Science. Whilst in St. Johns School I served as the Sports Prefect (2016/2017). I completed St. Johns School in the year 2017 and by God’s grace had the opportunity to start my university education the same year at my dream university, KNUST.  I am currently in my final year reading BSc. Metallurgical Engineering a...