Skip to main content

MATESA SPORTS SEAT - Exclusive Interview

Mr Kwame Attakora-Seater of The Week

This is the maiden edition of Sports Seat. It is an exclusive interview with the Sportsmen of MATESA - published weekly. The first interviwee to sit on Sports Seat is Mr Kwame Boakye Attakora. He tells about himself, MATESA and also sports (football).

Who is Mr Kwame Boakye Attakora?
I have always found this question very complex to answer mainly because as a person I am constantly evolving as a result of my experiences but I guess basically i am a Fante-Ashanti boy working towards making my hopes and dreams a reality.

What was your experience like in secondary school?
Secondary School was fun, like all my experiences. I was in Achimota School between 2010 and 2013. Funny thing is I didn’t actually plan on going there. Growing up my dream secondary school was PRESEC, Legon but I ended up at Achimota due to an error on my part when I was selecting secondary schools to attend. I chose PRESEC, Legon but mistakenly wrote down the Achimota School code. As for how that happened I don’t know. I guess I was predestined to be an AKORA by all means. I was a science student in Gyamfi House and partook in lots of extra-curricular activities. I played a lot of football in secondary school.   

Materials Engineering. Were you given the programme or you really wanted to do it? What informed your decision if you chose it?
I am a bit of an artist myself and growing up I’ve always been of the opinion that Engineers are the purest artists out there. Being an engineer has never been my dream, I’m not going to sit and lie about that, but realizing halfway through my young-adult life that this is something I had a passion for is one of my finest moments as a person. I guess it is the moment I finally started getting to know myself better and Materials Engineering is the first step of my journey as an artist. It is a very beautiful phase and I am enjoying every bit of it.  Who knows where my passions will lead me to next.

How has the programme been so far?
A worthwhile experience. I didn’t know what to expect coming into this field but I must admit that the course as a whole has not only changed, but broadened my perspective on the creative process.

Why did you choose KNUST among all the other institutions in the country and beyond?
Simple. If I was going to study engineering, and I mean any form of it, I was going to do so in an ideal environment, and KNUST, being situated in my hometown, more than provided the logistics I considered ideal.

Has there been any challenge pertaining to Materials Engineering?
Not yet. Hahahahaha.

What positions have you held so far in your academic life?
During my junior high school days at Sap’s School, I held the position of compound prefect, ensuring that issues of sanitation were not a problem.

Top scorer in the just ended EPL (Engineering Premier League), how did you go about it?
I love football and I’m a Chelsea fan. Chelsea has not any luck with our choice of forwards in recent years so I said to myself that given the opportunity, on a stage like the EPL, I would strike like I’d want a Chelsea striker to.

How are you able to effectively perform on the field of play?
I have been playing football since childhood and constant practice has helped elevate my game to the level it is at right now.  Also, I believe effectiveness on the field of play is not a one-man show. Team work is key.

Please tell us how you manage to blend social and academic responsibilities?
I prioritize. There is a time and place for everything and I make sure I do everything I want when its important.

Any achievements or special awards?
I have chalked a number of successes growing up. To mention a few:
  • I won a Spelling Bee contest that was held in my junior high school.
  • I was one of the chosen people to represent my JHS at the Scripps National Spelling Bee at the University of Ghana, Legon campus.
  • In October 2007,I participated in the Life Link Model United Nations Conference as one of the representatives from my school.
  • In April 2008, I was given the opportunity to be part of the team to represent Ghana in the Global Classrooms Model United Nations Conference in Washington D.C.


What or who inspires you?
I believe Muammar Mohammed Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi is my biggest inspiration.  If there is a God, then Gaddafi is the physical embodiment of God. May his soul rest well.

What is your vision and mission in life?
My mission is simple; the advancement of black people. Dr. Kwame Nkrumah had a vision; the total liberation of the African continent. I have adopted that vision and intend to make it my life’s mission to play a huge role in seeing it through.

Which extracurricular activities do usually engage in?
I play football, listen to a lot of music, play the piano and produce beats too.

Any favourite motivational quote?
“ The Black skin is not a badge of shame,but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness.” - Marcus Garvey.

How do you see the Department so far? Are there any improvements you would want to see?
I realise MATESA is one of the hardworking departments we have in KNUST and we should keep it up. I suggest we form a partnership with materials departments of foreign universities with the aim of training our lecturers even more. This could help add more value to what they already know.

When it comes to Materials Engineering, what field are you particularly interested in and why?
Composites. Well, growing up, I have had this fascination for flying objects and their mechanism. So I would love to work on composites to understand aerospace materials and their contributions to the success of the industry.

What do you think about the way we are taught here in the university?
I think our focus on theory is a little too much. Don’t get me wrong, knowing the theory aspect is the stepping stone, but without practice, it’ll only seem we are just here to study for exams.

The Core of Engineering Technology, what does this mean to you?
It tells me that without Materials Engineering, being the core, nothing can work in the engineering sector. It is the powerhouse the other engineering fields depend on.

What should we expect from you in the next few years?
In the next few years, a lot can happen. So I’ll say, let’s keep our fingers crossed. Like the akan adage goes, “ Ahwenepa enkasa.” I will do my best to make everyone proud.

Aside leading the attack, what other positions can you play comfortably?
Funnily enough, aside leading the attack , I am not bad at all when I play as a defender. 

Which football player do you look up to?
Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He is the perfect example of an athlete and a sportsman.

Name your favorite starting XI  of the class team
Honestly, I do not have a favorite starting XI. Whatever team the coach chooses to put out there becomes my favorite for that game.

Who is that player in the class team whose presence boosts your morale?
Abdul-Latif Abubakar. I don’t think this is news to anyone in the team. They know how we roll.

You finished the EPL as the top scorer, how many goals did u score? Which of them was your favorite?
4 goals. I can’t say which one because they were all exclusive goals, and would be difficult to choose from. Maybe if there was a video I could replay and hopefully select. But since there is none, I love them all.

Did you ever regret missing a good goal scoring opportunity?
Oh yes. During one “Aponkye Cup” I was to score the winning penalty goal and I missed. I blasted the ball over the bar. I still feel the pain each time I remember, but anytime we meet as a team and someone brings it up, we laugh over it. It’s all joy in the MATESA camp.

Which player from the class team do you hate playing with?
No one. We are a team and we have developed a bond, so I do not see my self hating anyone. It’s a game and it’s meant to be fun. Where then is the fun if we are hating on each other?

Apart from football, which other game can you play?
The 100 metre-dash sprint race.

Please share with us. your last words.
Happiness is Life.

Click HERE to visit our Home Page for more interesting stuff!

Comments

See Also

Alternate Building Materials Used in The Construction Industry

PC: theconstructor.org Alternate building materials are those which can be used economically by replacing the conventional building materials. Alternate building materials are made from waste products and thus they minimize environmental pollution. These alternate building materials can be used when they meet their respective specifications in the code of practice. Here are some novel construction materials and technology, with some briefly discussed: Aluminum Bitumen Materials Soil Conditioning Agents Tempered Glass Crumb Rubber Fiber Reinforced Polymer Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics Bamboo reinforced plastics Ferro-cement Polyester Fibers ALUMINIUM sound-proof-aluminium-construction. PC: theconstructor.org More than 3000 commercialized applications. 35 percent aluminum produced is used in construction. Non-Corrosive. High durability and low maintenance. Can be alloyed. Ductile and malleable. Aesthetically attractive. Applications of Aluminum In...

New 'Artificial Leaf' That Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel

Scientists have created an “artificial leaf” to fight climate change by inexpensively converting harmful carbon dioxide (CO2) into a useful alternative fuel. The new technology, outlined in a paper published on November 4, 2019, in the journal Nature Energy, was inspired by the way plants use energy from sunlight to turn carbon dioxide into food. “We call it an artificial leaf because it mimics real leaves and the process of photosynthesis,” said Yimin Wu, an engineering professor at the University of Waterloo who led the research. “A leaf produces glucose and oxygen. We produce methanol and oxygen.” Making methanol from carbon dioxide, the primary contributor to global warming, would both reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide a substitute for the fossil fuels that create them. The key to the process is a cheap, optimized red powder called cuprous oxide. An hour-long chemical reaction creates the engineered red powder that is the key to new technology to tur...

History of Man As Determined by The Prevailing Materials Technology of a Particular Era

Compiled by Abena Osei-Anane   [5 min read] The ages of materials technology - PC: pininterest.cl Earth’s beginnings can be traced back 4.5 billion years ago, but human evolution only counts for a tiny speck of its history. The pre-history period where there was no documentation of human activities roughly dates from about 2-5 million years ago to 600BC and is categorised in three archaeological periods: the Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age . These periods are characterised by the prevailing Materials Technology present at a particular time. STONE AGE Getty images The Stone Age was the first age and the longest, from 30,000BC to 3,000BC. This era was marked by the use of stones to make tools and weapons . During the paleolithic period, early humans lived in small caves and were mostly hunters. They used basic stone tools as well as stone axes for hunting birds and other wild animals. They were the first to leave behind art by carving small figurines from stones,...

Metal organic frameworks

Materials that reduce electromagnetic interference between electrical components in advanced electronic circuits and help aircraft, ships, and other military hardware evade radar detection rely on absorbing microwaves. Find out more 👇🏼 https://bit.ly/2JyIvo9 📱Like and follow our pages on Facebook (MATESA KNUST 2019) and Instagram (matesa_knust_19) © Ediboard '19

Vibranium - The Wonder of Wakanda

Black Panther wearing Vibranium suit. PC: ucf.edu If you've ever thought that the Vibranium metal used in the Black Panther movie is a real material, you're possibly mistaken. What is Vibranium? Sourced from a meteorite that landed in Wakanda many centuries ago, Vibranium provides the superpower in the main character’s suit, absorbing energy and redistributing it. Vibranium (/vaɪˈbreɪniəm/) is a fictional metal appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, noted for its extraordinary abilities to absorb, store, and release large amounts of kinetic energy. Mined only in Wakanda, the metal is associated with Black Panther, who wears a suit of vibranium, and with Captain America, who bears a vibranium-steel alloy shield which has never been reproduced. Real-world Material In 2016, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies developed a real-world smart composite material that they named Vibranium. The lightweight carbon fiber material for the Hyperloop ...

The 'thinking metal': Shape Memory Alloy

Nitinol wires. PC: Wikpedia By Francis Agyemang, Member of the Editorial Team, MATESA KNUST We are the intelligent metal alloys !!! Yes! People prefer to call us shape memory alloys and it is the name we well deserve. We never forget our shape when thermal or mechanical load is exerted on us. Once the load is removed, we regain our pre-deformed shape. Our thermal deformation is very unique, unlike other metals, we deform under low temperatures and regain our shapes upon heating. Our effect (shape memory effect) was first discovered in an alloy of gold and cadmium (AuCd) by Swedish physicist Arne Olander in 1932. 2D view of nitinol's crystalline structure during cooling/heating cycle The two most prevalent smart alloys are copper-aluminium-nickel (CuAlNi) and nickel-titanium ( Nitinol). Though we have many uses and potential applications, we are commonly used in mending broken bones and making of dental braces. A nitinol paperclip bent and recovered aft...

The Natural Polymer That Controls Life - DNA!

Some life-forms on earth. PC: Micro [5 min read] In today's post on MATESA TODAY , we want to learn about a natural polymer (giant molecule) that controls all life-forms on Earth - in plants, animals, micro-organisms, etc. This wonderful material carries the instructions that are associated with the transmission of genetic information: the shape of your nose, the colour of your eye, people's height, their skin colour, etc.  This publication gives us some basic insight into  DNA . Sounds quite biochemical, but it has got the Materials Science aspect too - Polymers; though materials scientists primarily deal with synthetic polymers. But we usually take inspiration from nature to do new stuff, more technically, develop novel products. After all, we call it genetic material ! BASIC TERMS DEFINED Polymer means "many parts" and designates a large molecule made up of smaller repeating units. Monomer is a molecule that combines with other molecules of the same ...

Personality of the Week: Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye

Mr Anokye, MATESA PTW For this week, our Personality Dialogue dial falls on a stalwart of the Department, Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye , a level 300 Materials Engineering student. He has great interest in Writing and is specially interested in Foundry Technology. Enjoy the 'ride' with him. Who is Mr Andrew Anokye?  Mr Anokye is a Christian gentleman who believes that as humans we have the greatness within to do more! What was your experience like in secondary school? Secondary school was a great place to be. I enjoyed every bit of my stay in PRESEC-Legon, where I chalked some successes. It was not just a good experience, but a great one. Materials Engineering. Were you given the programme or you really wanted to do it? What informed your decision if you chose it?  I wanted to be a Civil Engineer. My Uncle inspired me and that was my dream program. I was given Materials Engineering and at the beginning, the interest for the program wasn't there. I developed ...

Personality of The Week: Prof. Samuel Kwofie

Prof. Samuel Kwofie To end this month's Personality Dialogue is the first Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in Ghana, Prof. Samuel Kwofie. He shares with us his rich knowledge and experience. Enjoy the read as you learn along. PROFILE Prof. Samuel Kwofie is the first professor of Materials Science and Engineering in the country. He lectures at the Department of Materials Engineering at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. He is the immediate past Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, formerly the Faculty of Chemical and Materials Engineering. He is an alumnus of Independence Hall in KNUST and Ghana Senior High Technical School (GSTS-Takoradi). He hails from Elmina in the Central Region. His skills and expertise include Powder Metallurgy, X-ray Diffraction, Mechanical Testing, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Failure Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Experimentation, Characterization, Electron Microscopy, among others. ...

The Reason for The Season

Almighty, you could have snapped us into a blip to avenge for our unruly stubbornness and cruelty. You could have hypnotized us from the beginning of time to follow you with nothing called free will. No urge to disobey, steal or kill. But you chose to send your begotten son. In the beginning, you could have corrected sin and immorality yet allowed men to dwell in their carnality and later show them your sovereignty. Leaving His comfort zone, He came down to live as one of us. He was betrayed for a few denominations, chastised on several occasions but chose our salvation over condemnation. And for our sake He was condemned to death. To the wisdom of man, it was an improper fraction but to God a perfect solution.Though sinless and blameless, He bore the crossed burdened with our sins. Under the Heavy cross bathed in blood and sweat, he fell three times yet didn’t give up. He was poised to accomplish this mission of our salvation. Nailed to the cross, blood oozing from every part o...