Skip to main content

Seater of The Week--Nana Kwame Asa-Mensah

Nana Kwame, aka DJ Enkay
In today's edition of Sports Seat we come across a hardworking, committed and good-humoured young man of the Department. He tells us about himself, MATESA and also sports (football). Enjoy!

Who is Mr Asa-Mensah Kwame? (Mandatory: relationship status--single, married, broken up (ended in tears) or crushing?)

I am Nana Kwame Asa-Mensah, a third year Metallurgical engineering student. I'm 20 years old and in Evandy hostel. I attended Mfantsipim school and I'm a jovial person. I am not single. Saa?

What was your experience like in secondary school?
Attending a boys' school is fun and challenging because of the high peer influence and one could easily fall prey but enjoyable because of all the fun and excellence accredited to a school like mine.


Metallurgical Engineering. Were you given the programme or you really wanted to do it? What informed your decision if you chose it?
Personally, I wanted to study Petrochemical Engineering but I was given metallurgical engineering (another story on its own). Hmm...common experience

How has the programme been so far?
I won't lie, the course has been very demanding and involving but we would definitely sail through successfully.

Why did you choose KNUST among all the other institutions in the country and beyond?
I chose KNUST because of one reason only: it is the best engineering university in the country. And in West Africa.

What positions have you held so far in your academic life?
I am currently the deputy entertainment chairperson for GESA.

Got a major non-academic activity? If yes, tell us about it.
I am a disc jockey in my free time.

Please tell us how you manage to blend social and academic life?
I try to balance everything as much as I can. Mostly I get involved in my social activities if it doesn't clash with my academic work.

Any achievements or special awards?
I haven't won any awards yet but I was nominated for the "Best campus DJ " category at last year's Campus Baze awards. Well done

What or who inspires you?
My mum is my source of inspiration because of her hardworking nature thus she pushes to become the best person I can ever be everyday. Sweet mother

What is your vision and mission in life?
My mission and vision in life is to be a person who would challenge the status quo as well as impact my generation and many others after I leave the world.

Which extracurricular activities do usually engage in?
Swimming and playing football.

How do you see the Department so far? Are there any improvements you would want to see?
MATESA is a very interesting department and I can say so far, so good. Personally I would like to see improvements in the lecturer-student relationship. Well noted!

When it comes to Materials Engineering, what field are you particularly interested in and why?
My major interest is Nanotechnology, because I believe this is the future of the world and I would like to make the world a better place.

What do you think about the way we are taught here in the university?
My observation is that the style of teaching in this institution is too much of theory and little hands-on practice. I believe that a little more practical work would make the learning process easier and better. Oh OK

The Core of Engineering Technology, what does this mean to you?
The Core of Engineering technology simply means we are the basis on which all other engineering processes continue. I could argue that we are the most important field of engineering. Fact

What should we expect from you in the next few years?
Well in the next few years, all I can say is expect something great because I surprise myself sometimes.





SPORTS 
So far you have been the goalkeeper for the class team of Metallurgy 3, what are your experiences?
Being a goalkeeper has been very nice but also annoying sometimes. 

Aside goalkeeping, what other positions can you play comfortably?
I can also be a defender because I hate attacking (low stamina). Obviously

Which football player do you look up to?
I look up to Cristiano Ronaldo and Petr Cech.

Name your favorite starting XI  of your class team.
My ultimate XI
GK: myself
DEF: Afari, Mickey, Vincent, Abaidoo
MID: Atuiri, Ralph, Asaase, Kay 2
ATT: Segu, Sly

Who is that player in the class team whose presence boosts your morale?
I would say Atuiri because he makes everyone around him a better player.

Your class team couldn't qualify from the group stages of the just ended Engineering Premier League (EPL), what went wrong?
Unfortunately we couldn't qualify to the next stage of EPL; this is because we played a draw under questionable circumstances and lost our second match as well. We had a chance to qualify on our last match even though we won, we were unable to qualify due to our poor goal difference.

Do you ever regret conceding goals where you could have saved?
I regret conceding goals against Materials 3 the most because we are obviously better than them. Hahaha

Which player from your class team do you hate playing with?
Appiah Sandy

Apart from football, which other game can you play?
Basketball and volleyball

Can you verify the authenticity of the rumour that you are a disc jockey (DJ)?
Yes I am. My stage name is DJ Enkay. Go all out DJ Enkay

Engineering as against footballing and Disc Jockeying, what's the correlation?
Which of these has the greatest tendency of becoming your career in the future?
There's no correlation with engineering though but I DJ because of the love I have for music and entertaining people through music. Being a DJ also serves as an Avenue to escape my school related stress. I would be an engineer by profession but there's no harm in taking disc jockeying to another level.

Given the opportunity to say something to any member of the department, who and what will be your message?
I don't have any message for anyone in particular but to all of us; "United we stand, divided we fall".

Please share with us. your last words.
I'll end by saying that this life is all about balance; do not listen to what others say, have a free spirit and be good because that's who you are.
I thank the Sports Committee for giving me this opportunity as well. Thank you all.

Interesting interview with DJ Enkay. Kindly follow the ace disc jockey on Twitter (dj__enkay) and Instagram (dj__enkay). Anticipate the next Seater of the Week. It's been the MATESA Sports Seat, an initiative of the Sports Committee.

Join the MATESA FANPAGE and never miss out on interesting activities on our WhatsApp platform. Click or Tap MATESA FANPAGE to join. Send us a message on WhatsApp

Read Also: The Reason for The Season

Click HERE to visit our Home Page for more interesting material!


Comments

See Also

Alternate Building Materials Used in The Construction Industry

PC: theconstructor.org Alternate building materials are those which can be used economically by replacing the conventional building materials. Alternate building materials are made from waste products and thus they minimize environmental pollution. These alternate building materials can be used when they meet their respective specifications in the code of practice. Here are some novel construction materials and technology, with some briefly discussed: Aluminum Bitumen Materials Soil Conditioning Agents Tempered Glass Crumb Rubber Fiber Reinforced Polymer Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics Bamboo reinforced plastics Ferro-cement Polyester Fibers ALUMINIUM sound-proof-aluminium-construction. PC: theconstructor.org More than 3000 commercialized applications. 35 percent aluminum produced is used in construction. Non-Corrosive. High durability and low maintenance. Can be alloyed. Ductile and malleable. Aesthetically attractive. Applications of Aluminum In

Personality of The Week: Mr Ebo Quansah

Mr Ebo Quansah, Personality of The Week To  begin this month's Alumni Awareness session of the Personality Dialogue a former Teaching Assistant of the Department. He is an old student of GSTS in Takoradi. He tells us about himself and shares with us some knowledge and experience so far. Enjoy the read. Who is Mr Ebo Quansah?  Ebo-Quansah is the second born among five siblings. I was born and brought up in Manso-Wassa, where I had my basic education. I am that individual who is interested in researching into scientific problems. What was your experience like in secondary school? I had my Secondary school education at Ghana Senior High Technical School (GSTS). And you can attest to the fact that GSTS is one of the finest second cycle institutions in the country. Besides the quality of academic work, the high level of discipline the school instigates into its students really helped shape my life. For that I will always be proud of my alma mater. Talking of fond memories, I