Skip to main content

Sports Seater of The Week: Raphael Kwasi Sarfo Gyebi

Ralph Gyebi (SOTW)

Meet Ralph on Sports Seat today, a fine gentleman and prospective metallurgist. Certainly the crush of many MATESA ladies (Hahaha). 

Please tell us about yourself. (Relationship status: Gnashing, dating broken up, crushing, etc).
Well, I'm Raphael Kwasi Sarfo Gyebi, a 3rd year Metallurgical engineering student. An old boy of Mfantsipim school. I love sports and arts. I find humour in almost anything. And I'm single, hahaha.

Share with us your experience in secondary school.
Secondary school was fun, having attended a boys school. The learning and church service and craziness that came with entertainment made SHS worthwhile. In the long run, it built our persona in every aspect of our lives, Mentally, emotionally, and spiritually hei, devotion on weekdays and morning and evening service on Sunday no be joke.

Metallurgical Engineering, were you given the programme or you chose it?
I chose it as my last choice and It was given to me. But I've not regretted doing this course. Even though I wanted Geomatic instead.

How do you see the programme so far? Have your expectations been met with respect to the programme?
Honestly, so far so good. But I think more effort should be put into practical work other than theory, considering our field of study.

Why did you choose KNUST over the other universities? Have you in anyway regretted your decision?
I've not regretted choosing KNUST in anyway. I did an engineering related course in SHS and since KNUST is the best in terms of engineering in Ghana, it was just the school for me. Plus I wanted a change in environment as well.

What positions have you held so far in all your academic life? Which of them challenged you most?
I was the Drame club president back in SHS and I'm currently the Deputy Entertainment Chairperson for GESA. Being a president of one of the top clubs in Mfantsipim was a whole mantle to carry. But it taught me as a leader to be self-disciplined.

Got any major non-academic activity?
Not really. I haven't come up with anything yet.

Any achievements or special awards?
There was this annual Project work done back in my JHS where students were required to research on a topic and present it in front of the whole school. And I won the maiden edition.

What or who inspires you? Why do you think so?
My family, some friends I met who have eventually become family. I look at my family to remind myself of where I'm coming from so I don't deviate from what I'm aiming to achieve.

What extracurricular activities do you usually engage in?
Mostly sporting activities and sometimes church activities as well.

How do you see the department so far? Are there any improvements you want to see?
Its been a good run but as I said earlier, more emphasis should be on practical knowledge.

When it comes to Metallurgical Engineering, what field are you particularly interested in and why?
Physical Metallurgy of Ferrous Metals. Why because, It gives knowledge of how to manipulate ferrous metals to get the desired properties. Hence recycling can be effective in this country.

The Core of Engineering Technology, what does this mean to you?
I feel without us (MATESA), there wouldn't be any engineering. Because any form of technological innovation requires materials (metals, polymers, ceramics, etc).

What should we expect from you in the next few years?
Well,we don't know what awaits us tomorrow but we're working hard towards our aim. I tend to pull up surprises at times, so let's keep our fingers crossed. On God.

Assuming its mandatory to choose a spouse from MAT'ESA, who will she be? Tell us about her.
Charley this question dier mad ooh. Well I've interacted with a few of them and they've all proven to be worth the chase. But I've not had this conversation with any of them though. But I admire a lot of them. Elizabeth, Ghartey, Gloria, Bella, Sintim, Ewuradwoa, Theresa just to mention a few.They're all unique in their own way. It's hard to narrow it down so I'd pass. Haha

SPORTS
 Aside playing on the wings which other position(s) can you play comfortably?
Any midfield position, but preferably 10 (attacking midfield).

Who is/are the most aggressive fullback(s) you have ever played against?
Easy, Benard Yevoo. The guy is strong and fast, hard tackles. He really gave a tough time hahaha.

Your class couldn't qualify from the group stages of the just ended Engineering Premier League (EPL), what happened?
εyε asεm. Most of the players didn't show up for our first match so we drew to a team we could have easily thrashed if we had subs for that game. Generally, we didn't take our chances.

Who is the player from your class team whose presence in the line up boosts your morale? Who is the player whose presence is otherwise?
Emmanuel Apalimbey. I like playing alongside him. He's strong and is able to draw a lot of players to him, giving me more space to inflict harm on our opponents. Micheal Quartey is also one of them. Honestly, there's no player on our team who kills the team spirit. We all make mistakes.

Name your preferred strongest line-up of your class team?
GK: Enkay
DEF: Kay 2, Jollof, Mickey, Asare
MID: Dennis, Zatman, Asaase
FWD: Segu, Apalimbey, Myself

What sporting event(s) are you really interested in and why? Who is your favourite sports personality and why?
I love football, but aside football I'm really interested in boxing. The way they move and all, I see boxing as an art. Luis Suarez is my favourite sports personality, I can talk about him all day hahaha. I like him because he's smart. He makes me believe football is played with the mind, the rest of the body are just the tools.

Which football team do you support? What informed your choice?
Barcelona. They have my heart, no matter the intensity of the defeat. Hahaha

Name a five-man line-up of your team in the order: goalkeeper, two defenders, a midfielder and a striker.
Ter Stegen (GK), Todibo and Umtiti (defenders), Messi (MF) and Suarez (SF).

Given the opportunity to play for a team in the Ghana Premier League (GPL), which team is the lucky one?
I don't really follow the GPL but I think I'd go for Legon Cities FC.

Finally, who is your celebrity crush? Tell us a little about her?
Emilia Clarke. An actress and comedian. She's pretty and funny. It's hard to find a white girl who is actually funny hahaha.

SPORT QUIZ
In a football match, there was a counter-attack which led to a goal. During the counterattack, the defenders of the conceding team relaxed since the assistant referee (linesman) raised his flag indicating offside, but the striker of the opposing team went ahead and scored. However, the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) proved there was no offside. What would be the decision of the central referee?
I think the referee would disallow the goal. Because if it wasn't for the assistant referee raising the flag, the defenders would have tried to prevent the opposing striker from scoring. The VAR is only there to assist in hardly visible situations.

Please share with us your last words.
I feel everything happens for a reason. Take advantage of opportunities in every situation. Pray hard and trust the process. Sabali!

Thank you for being on Sports Seat, Ralph.

My pleasure; it's been an honour.

Anticipate the next Sports Personality of The Week




Please visit our Home Page for more.

Join the MATESA FANPAGE and never miss out on interesting activities on our WhatsApp platform. Click or Tap MATESA FANPAGE to join. 

Send us a message on WhatsApp.



Comments

See Also

Alternate Building Materials Used in The Construction Industry

PC: theconstructor.org Alternate building materials are those which can be used economically by replacing the conventional building materials. Alternate building materials are made from waste products and thus they minimize environmental pollution. These alternate building materials can be used when they meet their respective specifications in the code of practice. Here are some novel construction materials and technology, with some briefly discussed: Aluminum Bitumen Materials Soil Conditioning Agents Tempered Glass Crumb Rubber Fiber Reinforced Polymer Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics Bamboo reinforced plastics Ferro-cement Polyester Fibers ALUMINIUM sound-proof-aluminium-construction. PC: theconstructor.org More than 3000 commercialized applications. 35 percent aluminum produced is used in construction. Non-Corrosive. High durability and low maintenance. Can be alloyed. Ductile and malleable. Aesthetically attractive. Applications of Aluminum In...

New 'Artificial Leaf' That Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel

Scientists have created an “artificial leaf” to fight climate change by inexpensively converting harmful carbon dioxide (CO2) into a useful alternative fuel. The new technology, outlined in a paper published on November 4, 2019, in the journal Nature Energy, was inspired by the way plants use energy from sunlight to turn carbon dioxide into food. “We call it an artificial leaf because it mimics real leaves and the process of photosynthesis,” said Yimin Wu, an engineering professor at the University of Waterloo who led the research. “A leaf produces glucose and oxygen. We produce methanol and oxygen.” Making methanol from carbon dioxide, the primary contributor to global warming, would both reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide a substitute for the fossil fuels that create them. The key to the process is a cheap, optimized red powder called cuprous oxide. An hour-long chemical reaction creates the engineered red powder that is the key to new technology to tur...

Personality of The Week: Prof. Samuel Kwofie

Prof. Samuel Kwofie To end this month's Personality Dialogue is the first Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in Ghana, Prof. Samuel Kwofie. He shares with us his rich knowledge and experience. Enjoy the read as you learn along. PROFILE Prof. Samuel Kwofie is the first professor of Materials Science and Engineering in the country. He lectures at the Department of Materials Engineering at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. He is the immediate past Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, formerly the Faculty of Chemical and Materials Engineering. He is an alumnus of Independence Hall in KNUST and Ghana Senior High Technical School (GSTS-Takoradi). He hails from Elmina in the Central Region. His skills and expertise include Powder Metallurgy, X-ray Diffraction, Mechanical Testing, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Failure Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Experimentation, Characterization, Electron Microscopy, among others. ...

History of Man As Determined by The Prevailing Materials Technology of a Particular Era

Compiled by Abena Osei-Anane   [5 min read] The ages of materials technology - PC: pininterest.cl Earth’s beginnings can be traced back 4.5 billion years ago, but human evolution only counts for a tiny speck of its history. The pre-history period where there was no documentation of human activities roughly dates from about 2-5 million years ago to 600BC and is categorised in three archaeological periods: the Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age . These periods are characterised by the prevailing Materials Technology present at a particular time. STONE AGE Getty images The Stone Age was the first age and the longest, from 30,000BC to 3,000BC. This era was marked by the use of stones to make tools and weapons . During the paleolithic period, early humans lived in small caves and were mostly hunters. They used basic stone tools as well as stone axes for hunting birds and other wild animals. They were the first to leave behind art by carving small figurines from stones,...

Be A Survivor -- A Poem By F. Agyemang

Many across the globe are bearing the brunt of Covid19. Some who haven't experienced it can't really imagine its consequences on people and economies. Let us thus relieve ourselves of the stress with this exhilarating poetic piece by @cocajuana_pens You can call me Covid I'm more dangerous than conflict I have no limit And I kill without mercy Cos I have no vaccine Just don't dare me I might end your destiny I'm so wicked! But you can avoid me Stay at home Give a distance And do no hommies For instance If you have to sneeze or cough Just cover it off Don't do it raw Else it'll be an issue So kindly use a tissue Hand washing should be regular That's the normal routine Do it with soap under running water Even if you haven't eaten Wondering how to keep clean? Use a hand sanitizer Just like many diseases I know I won't last forever A vaccine will be made And I will be slayed Until then, you have to be a survivor ...

The 'thinking metal': Shape Memory Alloy

Nitinol wires. PC: Wikpedia By Francis Agyemang, Member of the Editorial Team, MATESA KNUST We are the intelligent metal alloys !!! Yes! People prefer to call us shape memory alloys and it is the name we well deserve. We never forget our shape when thermal or mechanical load is exerted on us. Once the load is removed, we regain our pre-deformed shape. Our thermal deformation is very unique, unlike other metals, we deform under low temperatures and regain our shapes upon heating. Our effect (shape memory effect) was first discovered in an alloy of gold and cadmium (AuCd) by Swedish physicist Arne Olander in 1932. 2D view of nitinol's crystalline structure during cooling/heating cycle The two most prevalent smart alloys are copper-aluminium-nickel (CuAlNi) and nickel-titanium ( Nitinol). Though we have many uses and potential applications, we are commonly used in mending broken bones and making of dental braces. A nitinol paperclip bent and recovered aft...

Metal organic frameworks

Materials that reduce electromagnetic interference between electrical components in advanced electronic circuits and help aircraft, ships, and other military hardware evade radar detection rely on absorbing microwaves. Find out more 👇🏼 https://bit.ly/2JyIvo9 📱Like and follow our pages on Facebook (MATESA KNUST 2019) and Instagram (matesa_knust_19) © Ediboard '19

Vibranium - The Wonder of Wakanda

Black Panther wearing Vibranium suit. PC: ucf.edu If you've ever thought that the Vibranium metal used in the Black Panther movie is a real material, you're possibly mistaken. What is Vibranium? Sourced from a meteorite that landed in Wakanda many centuries ago, Vibranium provides the superpower in the main character’s suit, absorbing energy and redistributing it. Vibranium (/vaɪˈbreɪniəm/) is a fictional metal appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, noted for its extraordinary abilities to absorb, store, and release large amounts of kinetic energy. Mined only in Wakanda, the metal is associated with Black Panther, who wears a suit of vibranium, and with Captain America, who bears a vibranium-steel alloy shield which has never been reproduced. Real-world Material In 2016, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies developed a real-world smart composite material that they named Vibranium. The lightweight carbon fiber material for the Hyperloop ...

The Natural Polymer That Controls Life - DNA!

Some life-forms on earth. PC: Micro [5 min read] In today's post on MATESA TODAY , we want to learn about a natural polymer (giant molecule) that controls all life-forms on Earth - in plants, animals, micro-organisms, etc. This wonderful material carries the instructions that are associated with the transmission of genetic information: the shape of your nose, the colour of your eye, people's height, their skin colour, etc.  This publication gives us some basic insight into  DNA . Sounds quite biochemical, but it has got the Materials Science aspect too - Polymers; though materials scientists primarily deal with synthetic polymers. But we usually take inspiration from nature to do new stuff, more technically, develop novel products. After all, we call it genetic material ! BASIC TERMS DEFINED Polymer means "many parts" and designates a large molecule made up of smaller repeating units. Monomer is a molecule that combines with other molecules of the same ...

Personality of the Week: Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye

Mr Anokye, MATESA PTW For this week, our Personality Dialogue dial falls on a stalwart of the Department, Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye , a level 300 Materials Engineering student. He has great interest in Writing and is specially interested in Foundry Technology. Enjoy the 'ride' with him. Who is Mr Andrew Anokye?  Mr Anokye is a Christian gentleman who believes that as humans we have the greatness within to do more! What was your experience like in secondary school? Secondary school was a great place to be. I enjoyed every bit of my stay in PRESEC-Legon, where I chalked some successes. It was not just a good experience, but a great one. Materials Engineering. Were you given the programme or you really wanted to do it? What informed your decision if you chose it?  I wanted to be a Civil Engineer. My Uncle inspired me and that was my dream program. I was given Materials Engineering and at the beginning, the interest for the program wasn't there. I developed ...