Skip to main content

Alternate Building Materials Used in The Construction Industry

PC: theconstructor.org

Alternate building materials are those which can be used economically by replacing the conventional building materials. Alternate building materials are made from waste products and thus they minimize environmental pollution.

These alternate building materials can be used when they meet their respective specifications in the code of practice. Here are some novel construction materials and technology, with some briefly discussed:


  • Aluminum
  • Bitumen Materials
  • Soil Conditioning Agents
  • Tempered Glass
  • Crumb Rubber
  • Fiber Reinforced Polymer
  • Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics
  • Bamboo reinforced plastics
  • Ferro-cement
  • Polyester Fibers

ALUMINIUM

sound-proof-aluminium-construction. PC: theconstructor.org


  1. More than 3000 commercialized applications.
  2. 35 percent aluminum produced is used in construction.
  3. Non-Corrosive.
  4. High durability and low maintenance.
  5. Can be alloyed.
  6. Ductile and malleable.
  7. Aesthetically attractive.
Applications of Aluminum In Construction
  1. Windows, doors, facades
  2. Roofs, walls, building superstructure
  3. Door handles, catches, staircases
  4. HVAC and waterproofing
  5. As a support structure for solar panels
  6. Panels, solar collectors and light shelves.
  7. Wall cladding.
BITUMEN MATERIALS

Super pave system
Superior performing asphalt pavements systems

Advantages

Reduces Permanent deformation
Fatigue cracking
Low temperature cracking in hot asphalt mixtures

SOIL CONDITIONING AGENTS

Bentonite Slurry
Polymer Liquids
Foams

Applications

Tunneling
Pipe Jacking

TEMPERED GLASS

Thermally tempered glazing – automobile windows
Polycarbonate glazing – bullet proof glazing

CRUMB RUBBER

Crumb – scrap tires are shredded
Crumb rubber added to asphalt is called CRMA (Crumb Rubber Modified Asphalt.)

Advantage

Helps in noise reduction
Reduces skid

BAMBOO/ TIMBER MAT BASED WALLS (EKRA WALLING)

Plastered on either side by mud or cement mortar over bamboo mat placed between horizontal and vertical timber/ bamboo as a frame. They are easy to construct, cost less and are popular in hilly areas due to self-help.

However, these are non-load bearing and need a supporting structure. This upgraded traditional technology is relevant for earthquake view point walling option. (Conventional)


COMPOSITE FERROCEMENT SYSTEM

PC: civildigital

It is simple to construct and is made of ferrocement, i.e., rich mortar reinforced with chicken and welded wire mesh. These reduce the wall thickness and allow larger carpet area. Precast ferrocement units in trough shape are integrated with R.C.C. columns.

Ferrocement units serve as a permanent skin unit and as a diagonal strut between columns. Inside cladding can be done with mud blocks or any locally available material. Ideally suitable for seismic areas. (Developed by HUDCO)


Read more on this publication at The Constructor


Pleas visit our Home Page for more interesting material!

Comments

  1. nice post i'm currently looking for house construction materials needed for my home renovation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog has very good knowledge and gave huge instructions, which were commendable ideas. Thank you so much for sharing the article. This is very useful for me. For more detail you can visit Top Architects in Chennai.

    ReplyDelete

  3. This is a wonderful blog regarding the services provided in this region, the civil contractors In Chennai also provides a professional services.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You for sharing this informatiom. I really Like your content. Hope you will share more post about Top architects in bangalore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this useful information. I got useful information from this blog. Architecture companies In Bangalore have the responsibility of envisioning and creating functional, safe, and visually appealing structures while considering the needs and desires of their clients. They oversee the entire design and construction process, from initial concepts to final execution, while ensuring compliance with regulations and meeting project objectives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

See Also

New 'Artificial Leaf' That Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel

Scientists have created an “artificial leaf” to fight climate change by inexpensively converting harmful carbon dioxide (CO2) into a useful alternative fuel. The new technology, outlined in a paper published on November 4, 2019, in the journal Nature Energy, was inspired by the way plants use energy from sunlight to turn carbon dioxide into food. “We call it an artificial leaf because it mimics real leaves and the process of photosynthesis,” said Yimin Wu, an engineering professor at the University of Waterloo who led the research. “A leaf produces glucose and oxygen. We produce methanol and oxygen.” Making methanol from carbon dioxide, the primary contributor to global warming, would both reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide a substitute for the fossil fuels that create them. The key to the process is a cheap, optimized red powder called cuprous oxide. An hour-long chemical reaction creates the engineered red powder that is the key to new technology to tur...

Personality of The Week: Prof. Samuel Kwofie

Prof. Samuel Kwofie To end this month's Personality Dialogue is the first Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in Ghana, Prof. Samuel Kwofie. He shares with us his rich knowledge and experience. Enjoy the read as you learn along. PROFILE Prof. Samuel Kwofie is the first professor of Materials Science and Engineering in the country. He lectures at the Department of Materials Engineering at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. He is the immediate past Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, formerly the Faculty of Chemical and Materials Engineering. He is an alumnus of Independence Hall in KNUST and Ghana Senior High Technical School (GSTS-Takoradi). He hails from Elmina in the Central Region. His skills and expertise include Powder Metallurgy, X-ray Diffraction, Mechanical Testing, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Failure Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Experimentation, Characterization, Electron Microscopy, among others. ...

The Quality of Locally-manufactured Cornmill Grinding Plates

Corn mill A KNUST research has revealed people who consume corn-related foods risk contracting all kinds of cancers According to the research, the locally manufactured machine used to grind the corn into dough food wears off faster into the dry maize, thus contaminating it. A study by two lead researchers at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) has revealed that consumers of corn-related foods risk contracting all kinds of cancers. The research was undertaken by Prof. Kwofie, who is the Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering (former) of the College of Engineering, and Dr. Anthony Andrews (now Professor) , the Head of Department (former)  for Materials Engineering . The study found that the metals used for the milling plates usually wear off when the food products are being grinded. This, the study said, opens consumers to the risk of contracting cancer, since the metals contain 'iron overloads' which are poisonous. ...

Be A Survivor -- A Poem By F. Agyemang

Many across the globe are bearing the brunt of Covid19. Some who haven't experienced it can't really imagine its consequences on people and economies. Let us thus relieve ourselves of the stress with this exhilarating poetic piece by @cocajuana_pens You can call me Covid I'm more dangerous than conflict I have no limit And I kill without mercy Cos I have no vaccine Just don't dare me I might end your destiny I'm so wicked! But you can avoid me Stay at home Give a distance And do no hommies For instance If you have to sneeze or cough Just cover it off Don't do it raw Else it'll be an issue So kindly use a tissue Hand washing should be regular That's the normal routine Do it with soap under running water Even if you haven't eaten Wondering how to keep clean? Use a hand sanitizer Just like many diseases I know I won't last forever A vaccine will be made And I will be slayed Until then, you have to be a survivor ...

The 'thinking metal': Shape Memory Alloy

Nitinol wires. PC: Wikpedia By Francis Agyemang, Member of the Editorial Team, MATESA KNUST We are the intelligent metal alloys !!! Yes! People prefer to call us shape memory alloys and it is the name we well deserve. We never forget our shape when thermal or mechanical load is exerted on us. Once the load is removed, we regain our pre-deformed shape. Our thermal deformation is very unique, unlike other metals, we deform under low temperatures and regain our shapes upon heating. Our effect (shape memory effect) was first discovered in an alloy of gold and cadmium (AuCd) by Swedish physicist Arne Olander in 1932. 2D view of nitinol's crystalline structure during cooling/heating cycle The two most prevalent smart alloys are copper-aluminium-nickel (CuAlNi) and nickel-titanium ( Nitinol). Though we have many uses and potential applications, we are commonly used in mending broken bones and making of dental braces. A nitinol paperclip bent and recovered aft...

Vibranium - The Wonder of Wakanda

Black Panther wearing Vibranium suit. PC: ucf.edu If you've ever thought that the Vibranium metal used in the Black Panther movie is a real material, you're possibly mistaken. What is Vibranium? Sourced from a meteorite that landed in Wakanda many centuries ago, Vibranium provides the superpower in the main character’s suit, absorbing energy and redistributing it. Vibranium (/vaɪˈbreɪniəm/) is a fictional metal appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, noted for its extraordinary abilities to absorb, store, and release large amounts of kinetic energy. Mined only in Wakanda, the metal is associated with Black Panther, who wears a suit of vibranium, and with Captain America, who bears a vibranium-steel alloy shield which has never been reproduced. Real-world Material In 2016, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies developed a real-world smart composite material that they named Vibranium. The lightweight carbon fiber material for the Hyperloop ...
 Meet our personality of the week,our Immediate Past President Mr.Samuel Kweku Afari Can you tell us about yourself?   I am Samuel Kweku Afari, born on the 4th of March 1998. I am 23 years of age and I pride myself to be the only child of my parents. I come from Abesim in the Bono Region where I started the earlier part of my junior high education at Sacred Heart Preparatory School.  I moved to Tarkwa to continue my junior education at Golden Age School complex and that is where I had my Basic Education Certificate after completion in 2014. By God’s grace, I went on to have my senior high school education at St John’s School in Sekondi where I read General Science. Whilst in St. Johns School I served as the Sports Prefect (2016/2017). I completed St. Johns School in the year 2017 and by God’s grace had the opportunity to start my university education the same year at my dream university, KNUST.  I am currently in my final year reading BSc. Metallurgical Engineering a...

THE WAIT

Illustration. Credit: HIOS The past they say hunts you down . But to get someone who overlooks all the past and says, ''Hey you deserve another shot'', has always been a one in a million event. We met in the weirdest of ways but we have grown to become the best of friends. If anyone had told me things would have grown this fast between us, I wouldn't have believed. Today I stare at your pictures and I can literally smell you. ''Am I getting mad?'', I ask myself. Maybe, no; probably yes. But if I would go mad because of the person who although I needed a new start due to my past transgressions, yet believed in me, then I wouldn't think twice about it. I guess the light I see in her is what she sees in me. We are taking things slow, not rushing a thing; trusting Your timing, not pushing when we need to pull--step by step, growth by growth--not  missing even a single nano-detail of the process. Am I mad to wait till you are ready?  For I...

WHAT MINDSET HAVE YOU?--By Isaac Asiedu

As Henry Ford said, ‘‘W hether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right ’’ . Whatever your mindset is, it affect s  you. Your mindset is the lens through which you perceive the world. And th is lens affect s  how you live and the choices you make every day. The quality of your life is defined by the quality of your mindset. Your life can never get any better than your mindset. Your mind is a powerful thing and the stories you tell yourself and the things you believe about yourself can either prevent change from happening or allow new skills to blossom. According to Carol Dweck, a researcher at Stanford University, there are two types of mindset and the difference between these two mindsets and how they impact our performance are explained below : The first mindset is the fixed mindset .   S tudents with this mindset believe that their basic abilities, their intelligence, their talents are just fixed traits. They have a certain amount and that is that, and th...