Skip to main content

Personality of the Week: Dr Emmanuel Kwesi Arthur

Dr Emmanuel Kwesi Arthur
This week's Personality Dialogue Train stops at the junction (PB 325) of an astute lecturer of the Department, Dr Emmanuel Kwesi Arthur!  Enjoy the read as you learn along.

Personality Profile
Dr. Emmanuel Kwesi Arthur is a Materials Scientist and Engineer  with research interests in mechanical metallurgy, novel surface hardening techniques and advanced characterization of materials for structural applications.

He is an expert in surface engineering and prevention such as diffusion-hardened ferrous materials for infrastructural applications.

Dr. Arthur’s research work has focused on the use of hydrogen cyanide (HCN) from cassava leaf waste (as a source of carbon and nitrogen) to surface-engineer ferrous materials (like AISI 8620 steel) via bio-carbonitriding process.

Dr Arthur at the laboratory
The ultimate goal was to design and develop a cost-effective case-hardening method that can be commercialized for strengthening of ferrous materials. Part of this research was funded by a doctoral fellowship from the World Bank STEP B Program, the World Bank African Centers of Excellence Program, the African Development Bank Group, the African Building Capacity Foundation and the Nelson Mandela Institution.

Dr. Arthur has worked with numerous international and reputable local scholars in the field of metallurgy, mechanical and materials engineering.

He has hands-on interpretation on the use of advanced modern edge equipment XRD, SEM/EDX, Nano-indenter, FTIR, Wear (Tribology-3 body Abrasive sliding), Surface Profiler, Instron and Micro-hardness tester; for the chemistry and physics of materials majoring in Materials Characterization.



Dr. Arthur has over 18 publications/conference proceedings in accredited peer-reviewed journals with strong impact factors.

He is an outstanding researcher who has harvested several research grants internationally. The latest is the 1.4 million Naira (~ GH¢21,687 ) Grant from Nigerian Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) for undertaking research on Design and Evaluation of Bamboo-Epoxy Composite as an Alternative Roofing Material.

Interactive Session

Did you choose Materials Engineering or you were given?
Honestly, I chose Materials Engineering. I had a senior colleague who advised me on the essence on the program and hence my choice.

Materials Engineering, any regrets? 
Of course, you can see I have not regretted (giggles).

To students reading Materials Engineering and Metallurgical Engineering
Once you've invested time in it, don't quit. Immediately you quit, you are a loser. Start developing your interest, and understand that first degree is just a stepping stone. At the end you can branch to other fields.

Most industries provide in-service training; you learn on the job. They believe what you learn here is to open your mind, so that when you get there you can adapt.

You may not see the relevance of what you're doing now, and you may be wondering about the future, but God knows best.


Any advice for us as students?
Take your education seriously, don't think about job, but do your best and at the end, your best will sell you. I usually mind little of what people think about me and concentrate on what I'm doing; it has helped me a lot. And it turns out that people recommend me to others.

I didn't plan of becoming a lecturer. I didn't even have it in mind that I will attend secondary school, but in the end I came out as the best student, and I have had scholarships right up from there to my doctorate level. I was not focusing on grades, I was not competing with anyone. I was just doing my best.

Thank you so much Doc, we appreciate your time.

Thank you too.

Follow Dr Emmanuel Kwesi Arthur on

Facebook: Emmanuel Kwesi Arthur
Instagram: @emmanuelkwesiarthur

Dear reader, we hope your time was well served.
Anticipate our next personality!

Tap/Click HERE to visit the Home page.

Comments

  1. Well done Dr. Arthur for your great achievements so far.
    Am really inspired and educated as well. I pray for higher heights and deeper depths.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

See Also

Alternate Building Materials Used in The Construction Industry

PC: theconstructor.org Alternate building materials are those which can be used economically by replacing the conventional building materials. Alternate building materials are made from waste products and thus they minimize environmental pollution. These alternate building materials can be used when they meet their respective specifications in the code of practice. Here are some novel construction materials and technology, with some briefly discussed: Aluminum Bitumen Materials Soil Conditioning Agents Tempered Glass Crumb Rubber Fiber Reinforced Polymer Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics Bamboo reinforced plastics Ferro-cement Polyester Fibers ALUMINIUM sound-proof-aluminium-construction. PC: theconstructor.org More than 3000 commercialized applications. 35 percent aluminum produced is used in construction. Non-Corrosive. High durability and low maintenance. Can be alloyed. Ductile and malleable. Aesthetically attractive. Applications of Aluminum In...

New 'Artificial Leaf' That Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel

Scientists have created an “artificial leaf” to fight climate change by inexpensively converting harmful carbon dioxide (CO2) into a useful alternative fuel. The new technology, outlined in a paper published on November 4, 2019, in the journal Nature Energy, was inspired by the way plants use energy from sunlight to turn carbon dioxide into food. “We call it an artificial leaf because it mimics real leaves and the process of photosynthesis,” said Yimin Wu, an engineering professor at the University of Waterloo who led the research. “A leaf produces glucose and oxygen. We produce methanol and oxygen.” Making methanol from carbon dioxide, the primary contributor to global warming, would both reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide a substitute for the fossil fuels that create them. The key to the process is a cheap, optimized red powder called cuprous oxide. An hour-long chemical reaction creates the engineered red powder that is the key to new technology to tur...

Personality of The Week: Prof. Samuel Kwofie

Prof. Samuel Kwofie To end this month's Personality Dialogue is the first Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in Ghana, Prof. Samuel Kwofie. He shares with us his rich knowledge and experience. Enjoy the read as you learn along. PROFILE Prof. Samuel Kwofie is the first professor of Materials Science and Engineering in the country. He lectures at the Department of Materials Engineering at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. He is the immediate past Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, formerly the Faculty of Chemical and Materials Engineering. He is an alumnus of Independence Hall in KNUST and Ghana Senior High Technical School (GSTS-Takoradi). He hails from Elmina in the Central Region. His skills and expertise include Powder Metallurgy, X-ray Diffraction, Mechanical Testing, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Failure Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Experimentation, Characterization, Electron Microscopy, among others. ...

The Quality of Locally-manufactured Cornmill Grinding Plates

Corn mill A KNUST research has revealed people who consume corn-related foods risk contracting all kinds of cancers According to the research, the locally manufactured machine used to grind the corn into dough food wears off faster into the dry maize, thus contaminating it. A study by two lead researchers at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) has revealed that consumers of corn-related foods risk contracting all kinds of cancers. The research was undertaken by Prof. Kwofie, who is the Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering (former) of the College of Engineering, and Dr. Anthony Andrews (now Professor) , the Head of Department (former)  for Materials Engineering . The study found that the metals used for the milling plates usually wear off when the food products are being grinded. This, the study said, opens consumers to the risk of contracting cancer, since the metals contain 'iron overloads' which are poisonous. ...

The 'thinking metal': Shape Memory Alloy

Nitinol wires. PC: Wikpedia By Francis Agyemang, Member of the Editorial Team, MATESA KNUST We are the intelligent metal alloys !!! Yes! People prefer to call us shape memory alloys and it is the name we well deserve. We never forget our shape when thermal or mechanical load is exerted on us. Once the load is removed, we regain our pre-deformed shape. Our thermal deformation is very unique, unlike other metals, we deform under low temperatures and regain our shapes upon heating. Our effect (shape memory effect) was first discovered in an alloy of gold and cadmium (AuCd) by Swedish physicist Arne Olander in 1932. 2D view of nitinol's crystalline structure during cooling/heating cycle The two most prevalent smart alloys are copper-aluminium-nickel (CuAlNi) and nickel-titanium ( Nitinol). Though we have many uses and potential applications, we are commonly used in mending broken bones and making of dental braces. A nitinol paperclip bent and recovered aft...

Vibranium - The Wonder of Wakanda

Black Panther wearing Vibranium suit. PC: ucf.edu If you've ever thought that the Vibranium metal used in the Black Panther movie is a real material, you're possibly mistaken. What is Vibranium? Sourced from a meteorite that landed in Wakanda many centuries ago, Vibranium provides the superpower in the main character’s suit, absorbing energy and redistributing it. Vibranium (/vaɪˈbreɪniəm/) is a fictional metal appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, noted for its extraordinary abilities to absorb, store, and release large amounts of kinetic energy. Mined only in Wakanda, the metal is associated with Black Panther, who wears a suit of vibranium, and with Captain America, who bears a vibranium-steel alloy shield which has never been reproduced. Real-world Material In 2016, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies developed a real-world smart composite material that they named Vibranium. The lightweight carbon fiber material for the Hyperloop ...
 Meet our personality of the week,our Immediate Past President Mr.Samuel Kweku Afari Can you tell us about yourself?   I am Samuel Kweku Afari, born on the 4th of March 1998. I am 23 years of age and I pride myself to be the only child of my parents. I come from Abesim in the Bono Region where I started the earlier part of my junior high education at Sacred Heart Preparatory School.  I moved to Tarkwa to continue my junior education at Golden Age School complex and that is where I had my Basic Education Certificate after completion in 2014. By God’s grace, I went on to have my senior high school education at St John’s School in Sekondi where I read General Science. Whilst in St. Johns School I served as the Sports Prefect (2016/2017). I completed St. Johns School in the year 2017 and by God’s grace had the opportunity to start my university education the same year at my dream university, KNUST.  I am currently in my final year reading BSc. Metallurgical Engineering a...

Be A Survivor -- A Poem By F. Agyemang

Many across the globe are bearing the brunt of Covid19. Some who haven't experienced it can't really imagine its consequences on people and economies. Let us thus relieve ourselves of the stress with this exhilarating poetic piece by @cocajuana_pens You can call me Covid I'm more dangerous than conflict I have no limit And I kill without mercy Cos I have no vaccine Just don't dare me I might end your destiny I'm so wicked! But you can avoid me Stay at home Give a distance And do no hommies For instance If you have to sneeze or cough Just cover it off Don't do it raw Else it'll be an issue So kindly use a tissue Hand washing should be regular That's the normal routine Do it with soap under running water Even if you haven't eaten Wondering how to keep clean? Use a hand sanitizer Just like many diseases I know I won't last forever A vaccine will be made And I will be slayed Until then, you have to be a survivor ...

Non-stick surface technology

By Hilda Kafui Nuworku [3min read] Non-stick is a surface engineered to reduce the ability of other materials to stick to it. Non-stick is often used to refer to surfaces coated with Polytetrafluroethylene (PTFE),  but in the 21st century other coatings have been marked as non-stick, such as anodized aluminum,  ceramics, cast iron, carbon steel and many others. Cast iron, carbon steel, cast aluminium and steel cookware may be seasoned by applying fat to the surface and heating to polymerize the fat. This produces a dry hard smooth, hydrophobic coating, which is non-stick when food is in it. Polytetrafluroethylene is a synthetic fluoropolymer or tetrafluoroethylene that has numerous applications. Its well known brand is Teflon® , by Chemours,  a polymer company. PTFE molecular structure. PC: susbtech.com Properties of PTFE: It's a fluorocarbon solid, with a high molecular weight. It's hydrophobic due to the high electronegativity of Fluorine. It ...

THE WAIT

Illustration. Credit: HIOS The past they say hunts you down . But to get someone who overlooks all the past and says, ''Hey you deserve another shot'', has always been a one in a million event. We met in the weirdest of ways but we have grown to become the best of friends. If anyone had told me things would have grown this fast between us, I wouldn't have believed. Today I stare at your pictures and I can literally smell you. ''Am I getting mad?'', I ask myself. Maybe, no; probably yes. But if I would go mad because of the person who although I needed a new start due to my past transgressions, yet believed in me, then I wouldn't think twice about it. I guess the light I see in her is what she sees in me. We are taking things slow, not rushing a thing; trusting Your timing, not pushing when we need to pull--step by step, growth by growth--not  missing even a single nano-detail of the process. Am I mad to wait till you are ready?  For I...