Skip to main content

Personality of the Week: Mr Ibrahim Sualah Bamba


For this week, our Personality Dialogue dial falls on a gentleman of the Department, Mr Ibrahim Sualah Bamba, a final-year Materials Engineering student. He has great interest in Debating and is specially interested in Composites. Enjoy the ride with him.

Who is Ibrahim Sualah Bamba?
I am the son of Mr. and Mrs. Bamba. Born on October 03, 1993

Any more thing about you?
I have always lived my life moving from one place to the other. I am from Banda, a beautiful town in the west - central part of Brong Ahafo Region.

So I am a proud Ghanaian. I have lived in different towns aside my hometown. Berekum, Wenchi, Techiman, Sunyani, Lapaz, Nungua, Accra New Town and many more areas across Ghana. Well, I have also lived in Adjifou, a city in Abidjan of Ivory Coast.

How has the educational ladder been for you so far?
Schooling has not been easy for me right from day one. This was because to me, I had to compete hard to understand both the local Akan and English languages just to understand what is happening in class.

In Ghana, I attended Paradise International School, WEDCO International, Al-Hidaya International, Berekum Presby JHS and a couple of others. Lol...it's quite funny the number of schools I attended but to me it was like standing in a warfront. For my secondary level education, I completed Berekum PRESEC as a General Science Student and School Boy's Prefect (Assistant) in 2014.

Also, I served as President of the Ghana Muslim Students' Association (GMSA) and Chairperson of BA SRC (Brong Ahafo Student's Representative Council) all in the same year. Currently I am a student at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), offering BSc. Materials Engineering, hoping to acquire my first degree in the year 2020 if God wills.


We would like to know your work experience if any
 I got the chance to work with GCB Bank Records Team. I still work with Happy Hospital as a pharmacy assistant. I have also worked with several multi-level network marketing companies as part-time business. Forever Living products (FLP), African Health Solution are all examples.

 Due to my little experience in health service, I had the privilege to join a health team where I used to give health talks especially on Hepatitis B both in mosques and churches, associations and also on radio stations.


 Any skills acquired so far?
I speak five different languages in all, which among them are two international languages (English and French) and three local languages ( Akan, Banda(Nafana) and a bit of Hausa). Good public speaking and great leadership service are my best of skills.

Materials Engineering. Were you given the program or you really wanted to do it? What informed your decision if you chose it? 
This is a program I never dreamt of doing in life. In my first two years, I was still struggling to change my program due to the uncomfortable desire to cope in class. My mates with similar problems were running to me for advice, in my quest to advise them as Course Rep, I also developed a reason to stay. I began to appreciate the program more in my third year when we started doing lab practicals. This I believe is an experience most people in the Department are facing.

How do you see the Department so far? Are there any improvements you would want to see? 
I believe the department was built on structures that allow organic development. Materials Engineering is a graduating program even in the country and very soon it will be the topic for discussion, not just in KNUST but also on a national level. I expect the authorities to invest more in the Department and that will aid it to move by its mantra as truly the core of Engineering Technology.

Why are you particularly interested in Composite Engineering?
Composite in simple terms is the combination of two or more materials to form a new kind. This, therefore, amps one to be very creative and innovative in solving the world's most difficult problems. This is a vision I equally share.

The  Core of Engineering Technology. What's your take on this?
My understanding of this mantra is that every Engineering Technology is dependent on Materials Engineering. Moreover, every existing object is a product of either metal, plastic, ceramic or composite. This is to say Materials Engineers run the world!

What is your goal in life?
My goal is to one day serve as a great leader, be a motivational speaker to awaken the broken hearts of people.


 Where do you imagine yourself ten years from now?
Well, I strongly see myself as a great accepted leader and of course a powerful motivational speaker even greater than Les Brown (A world-ranked motivational speaker). He is my Mentor.


 What or who is your motivation in life?
 What motivates me most in life is the people around me. I always see anyone around me as a tool to execute my plan towards my goal. This is because I HAVE A DREAM and I BELIEVE IN THAT DREAM.


Please share with us your last words
 I would love to tell the people of my Department, College and KNUST at large to see the world as a classroom, everyone as a teacher and everything within as lesson.

For it is good to work like a slave and live like a king than to work like a gentle king and live like a slave. And also I know not what is in you now but for that I know is whatever that is within is ready to come out, all you need is to BELIEVE that it is POSSIBLE.

I wish you wakeup everyday by telling yourself that 'NO MATTER HOW BAD IT IS OR HOW BAD IT GETS, I AM GOING TO MAKE IT'. Thank you.

We appreciate your time reading about our astounding personality. Watch out the next PTW.

– The Ediboard '19

Comments

Post a Comment

See Also

Alternate Building Materials Used in The Construction Industry

PC: theconstructor.org Alternate building materials are those which can be used economically by replacing the conventional building materials. Alternate building materials are made from waste products and thus they minimize environmental pollution. These alternate building materials can be used when they meet their respective specifications in the code of practice. Here are some novel construction materials and technology, with some briefly discussed: Aluminum Bitumen Materials Soil Conditioning Agents Tempered Glass Crumb Rubber Fiber Reinforced Polymer Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics Bamboo reinforced plastics Ferro-cement Polyester Fibers ALUMINIUM sound-proof-aluminium-construction. PC: theconstructor.org More than 3000 commercialized applications. 35 percent aluminum produced is used in construction. Non-Corrosive. High durability and low maintenance. Can be alloyed. Ductile and malleable. Aesthetically attractive. Applications of Aluminum In...

New 'Artificial Leaf' That Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel

Scientists have created an “artificial leaf” to fight climate change by inexpensively converting harmful carbon dioxide (CO2) into a useful alternative fuel. The new technology, outlined in a paper published on November 4, 2019, in the journal Nature Energy, was inspired by the way plants use energy from sunlight to turn carbon dioxide into food. “We call it an artificial leaf because it mimics real leaves and the process of photosynthesis,” said Yimin Wu, an engineering professor at the University of Waterloo who led the research. “A leaf produces glucose and oxygen. We produce methanol and oxygen.” Making methanol from carbon dioxide, the primary contributor to global warming, would both reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide a substitute for the fossil fuels that create them. The key to the process is a cheap, optimized red powder called cuprous oxide. An hour-long chemical reaction creates the engineered red powder that is the key to new technology to tur...

History of Man As Determined by The Prevailing Materials Technology of a Particular Era

Compiled by Abena Osei-Anane   [5 min read] The ages of materials technology - PC: pininterest.cl Earth’s beginnings can be traced back 4.5 billion years ago, but human evolution only counts for a tiny speck of its history. The pre-history period where there was no documentation of human activities roughly dates from about 2-5 million years ago to 600BC and is categorised in three archaeological periods: the Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age . These periods are characterised by the prevailing Materials Technology present at a particular time. STONE AGE Getty images The Stone Age was the first age and the longest, from 30,000BC to 3,000BC. This era was marked by the use of stones to make tools and weapons . During the paleolithic period, early humans lived in small caves and were mostly hunters. They used basic stone tools as well as stone axes for hunting birds and other wild animals. They were the first to leave behind art by carving small figurines from stones,...

Metal organic frameworks

Materials that reduce electromagnetic interference between electrical components in advanced electronic circuits and help aircraft, ships, and other military hardware evade radar detection rely on absorbing microwaves. Find out more 👇🏼 https://bit.ly/2JyIvo9 📱Like and follow our pages on Facebook (MATESA KNUST 2019) and Instagram (matesa_knust_19) © Ediboard '19

Vibranium - The Wonder of Wakanda

Black Panther wearing Vibranium suit. PC: ucf.edu If you've ever thought that the Vibranium metal used in the Black Panther movie is a real material, you're possibly mistaken. What is Vibranium? Sourced from a meteorite that landed in Wakanda many centuries ago, Vibranium provides the superpower in the main character’s suit, absorbing energy and redistributing it. Vibranium (/vaɪˈbreɪniəm/) is a fictional metal appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, noted for its extraordinary abilities to absorb, store, and release large amounts of kinetic energy. Mined only in Wakanda, the metal is associated with Black Panther, who wears a suit of vibranium, and with Captain America, who bears a vibranium-steel alloy shield which has never been reproduced. Real-world Material In 2016, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies developed a real-world smart composite material that they named Vibranium. The lightweight carbon fiber material for the Hyperloop ...

The 'thinking metal': Shape Memory Alloy

Nitinol wires. PC: Wikpedia By Francis Agyemang, Member of the Editorial Team, MATESA KNUST We are the intelligent metal alloys !!! Yes! People prefer to call us shape memory alloys and it is the name we well deserve. We never forget our shape when thermal or mechanical load is exerted on us. Once the load is removed, we regain our pre-deformed shape. Our thermal deformation is very unique, unlike other metals, we deform under low temperatures and regain our shapes upon heating. Our effect (shape memory effect) was first discovered in an alloy of gold and cadmium (AuCd) by Swedish physicist Arne Olander in 1932. 2D view of nitinol's crystalline structure during cooling/heating cycle The two most prevalent smart alloys are copper-aluminium-nickel (CuAlNi) and nickel-titanium ( Nitinol). Though we have many uses and potential applications, we are commonly used in mending broken bones and making of dental braces. A nitinol paperclip bent and recovered aft...

The Natural Polymer That Controls Life - DNA!

Some life-forms on earth. PC: Micro [5 min read] In today's post on MATESA TODAY , we want to learn about a natural polymer (giant molecule) that controls all life-forms on Earth - in plants, animals, micro-organisms, etc. This wonderful material carries the instructions that are associated with the transmission of genetic information: the shape of your nose, the colour of your eye, people's height, their skin colour, etc.  This publication gives us some basic insight into  DNA . Sounds quite biochemical, but it has got the Materials Science aspect too - Polymers; though materials scientists primarily deal with synthetic polymers. But we usually take inspiration from nature to do new stuff, more technically, develop novel products. After all, we call it genetic material ! BASIC TERMS DEFINED Polymer means "many parts" and designates a large molecule made up of smaller repeating units. Monomer is a molecule that combines with other molecules of the same ...

Personality of the Week: Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye

Mr Anokye, MATESA PTW For this week, our Personality Dialogue dial falls on a stalwart of the Department, Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye , a level 300 Materials Engineering student. He has great interest in Writing and is specially interested in Foundry Technology. Enjoy the 'ride' with him. Who is Mr Andrew Anokye?  Mr Anokye is a Christian gentleman who believes that as humans we have the greatness within to do more! What was your experience like in secondary school? Secondary school was a great place to be. I enjoyed every bit of my stay in PRESEC-Legon, where I chalked some successes. It was not just a good experience, but a great one. Materials Engineering. Were you given the programme or you really wanted to do it? What informed your decision if you chose it?  I wanted to be a Civil Engineer. My Uncle inspired me and that was my dream program. I was given Materials Engineering and at the beginning, the interest for the program wasn't there. I developed ...

Personality of The Week: Prof. Samuel Kwofie

Prof. Samuel Kwofie To end this month's Personality Dialogue is the first Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in Ghana, Prof. Samuel Kwofie. He shares with us his rich knowledge and experience. Enjoy the read as you learn along. PROFILE Prof. Samuel Kwofie is the first professor of Materials Science and Engineering in the country. He lectures at the Department of Materials Engineering at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. He is the immediate past Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, formerly the Faculty of Chemical and Materials Engineering. He is an alumnus of Independence Hall in KNUST and Ghana Senior High Technical School (GSTS-Takoradi). He hails from Elmina in the Central Region. His skills and expertise include Powder Metallurgy, X-ray Diffraction, Mechanical Testing, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Failure Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Experimentation, Characterization, Electron Microscopy, among others. ...

The Reason for The Season

Almighty, you could have snapped us into a blip to avenge for our unruly stubbornness and cruelty. You could have hypnotized us from the beginning of time to follow you with nothing called free will. No urge to disobey, steal or kill. But you chose to send your begotten son. In the beginning, you could have corrected sin and immorality yet allowed men to dwell in their carnality and later show them your sovereignty. Leaving His comfort zone, He came down to live as one of us. He was betrayed for a few denominations, chastised on several occasions but chose our salvation over condemnation. And for our sake He was condemned to death. To the wisdom of man, it was an improper fraction but to God a perfect solution.Though sinless and blameless, He bore the crossed burdened with our sins. Under the Heavy cross bathed in blood and sweat, he fell three times yet didn’t give up. He was poised to accomplish this mission of our salvation. Nailed to the cross, blood oozing from every part o...