Skip to main content

Personality of the Week: Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye

Mr Anokye, MATESA PTW


For this week, our Personality Dialogue dial falls on a stalwart of the Department, Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye, a level 300 Materials Engineering student. He has great interest in Writing and is specially interested in Foundry Technology. Enjoy the 'ride' with him.

Who is Mr Andrew Anokye? 
Mr Anokye is a Christian gentleman who believes that as humans we have the greatness within to do more!

What was your experience like in secondary school?
Secondary school was a great place to be. I enjoyed every bit of my stay in PRESEC-Legon, where I chalked some successes. It was not just a good experience, but a great one.

Materials Engineering. Were you given the programme or you really wanted to do it? What informed your decision if you chose it? 
I wanted to be a Civil Engineer. My Uncle inspired me and that was my dream program. I was given Materials Engineering and at the beginning, the interest for the program wasn't there. I developed interest in second year after I realized how important Materials Engineers will be in the near future. Almost everything about the program motivates me, and I usually tell my colleagues about the fact that Ghana, Africa and the world has a bright future with Materials Engineers.

How has the programme been so far?
It's been stressful to be honest. But I believe that success is not achieved on a silver platter. So yes we may go through a lot as students of the program but it will definitely end in praise.

Why did you choose KNUST among all the other institutions in the country and beyond? 
I chose KNUST because of three things; Engineering, Conti and Kumasi. I wanted to offer Engineering and nothing else, and KNUST was the best place to be as far as Engineering is concerned. I had heard a lot about Conti and I wanted to be a part of that Conti feeling. Funnily enough, I used to pray about it.

Has there been any challenge pertaining to Materials Engineering? 
Yes there has. I think that the courses demand a lot of time and as a person I'm very busy. Hence, I struggle to grasp everything we study. The practical aspect of the program is also low; we do more of theory and I personally sometimes find it difficult to relate with some of the things taught in class.

What positions have you held so far in your academic life? 
I've held many positions from JHS through to SHS and even now in the University. I would like to mention a few:
Senior Prefect - Abundant Grace JHS
Prime Technical Advisor, PRESEC SRC
General Secretary - PRESEC Quiz Writers and Debaters Club
General Secretary - PRESEC Catholic Students Union
Editor-in-Chief of THE HUB, KNUST
Public Relations Officer, Rotaract-KNUST
Deputy Public Relations Officer, KNUST-SRC

Deputy PRO of KNUST SRC. Please tell us briefly about what you do?
As Deputy PRO, I assist the PRO to do the following:
Plan publicity strategies and campaigns; write and produce communiques and press releases; deal with enquiries from the public, the press, and related organisations.

How are you able to effectively perform your duty as a leader?
I am able to do so due to my interest in Media related activities. By God's grace, I'm an expert when it comes to Public Relations; making my work very easy and proving the fact that I'm competent for the job.

Please tell us how you manage to blend social and academic responsibilities?
It's very difficult but I try as much as possible to stay focused. I'm here as a student and in as much as I have responsibilities as PRO I make sure my academics is a priority.

Any achievements or awards?
I was nominated for the Best Student Journalist Award at the NUGS Excellence Awards 2019, but unfortunately that event didn't come off. I knew very well that with my hard work as Editor-in-Chief of The HUB, I was going to take that award. Also I received Citations from the Office of the SRC Speaker of Parliament (2018/2019) and the Electoral Commission of the SRC for reporting accurate information with respect to their offices.
Back in SHS, I received an award for being the Best SRC Executive and an Exemplary Leader award at the school's Speech and Prize Giving day.

What or who inspires you?
Hon. Kojo Oppong Nkrumah inspires me. He is the Minister of Information and a former Media Broadcast Journalist. He inspires me because I see myself in the future whenever I see him, as a man of Integrity, intelligence, eloquence and humility.

What is your vision and mission in life?
My mission in life is to grow. I do not want to stay the same person forever, limited by my past, my weaknesses, or my belief system. I want to push past anything hindering me and reach heights I didn’t even know existed. My vision is to build wealth, to experience life, love and family.

Which extracurricular activities do usually engage in? 
I'm a Rotaractor. We believe in Service to Humanity. Hence we undertake certain social responsibility projects to give back to society.

Any favourite motivational quote?
I don't have a favourite quote. I don't memorize or keep quotes, I understand them. Hence I don't have a favourite.

How do you see the Department so far? Are there any improvements you would want to see?
There's massive improvement honestly. I'm very much excited and proud of the current Department executives. They're doing a great job. The Department really has a future!

When it comes to Materials Engineering, what field are you particularly interested in and why? 
I'm interested in the Foundry aspect of the program. This is because I believe Africa has a future with casting processes in particular.

What do you think about the way we are taught here in the university?
We need to improve upon that. Personally, I feel we're sticking to the old ways and that's affecting the current generation. The world is changing, and as a Science and Technology University, we need to be innovative in our style of teaching.

The Core of Engineering Technology, what does this mean to you? 
Without us Engineering is nothing. That's basically what it means. We're the pivot of Engineering.

What should we expect from you in the next few years?
In the next few years expect ANDREW ANOKYE to be causing visible change in Africa.

Please share with us. your last words. 
I would like to say that, as students we must never forget the G-factor – the God factor. I've faced serious challenges in my life especially as a student, but I strongly believe in the Uncommon Favour of God, that is "the magic they don't understand".
Thanks for this great opportunity. I appreciate.

Thank you too Mr Anokye. That was so much too learn from you. We appreciate your time and your words.

Up next is Lady of the Month. Be on the look out! Thanks for reading. Hope your time was well served.

Comments

See Also

Alternate Building Materials Used in The Construction Industry

PC: theconstructor.org Alternate building materials are those which can be used economically by replacing the conventional building materials. Alternate building materials are made from waste products and thus they minimize environmental pollution. These alternate building materials can be used when they meet their respective specifications in the code of practice. Here are some novel construction materials and technology, with some briefly discussed: Aluminum Bitumen Materials Soil Conditioning Agents Tempered Glass Crumb Rubber Fiber Reinforced Polymer Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics Bamboo reinforced plastics Ferro-cement Polyester Fibers ALUMINIUM sound-proof-aluminium-construction. PC: theconstructor.org More than 3000 commercialized applications. 35 percent aluminum produced is used in construction. Non-Corrosive. High durability and low maintenance. Can be alloyed. Ductile and malleable. Aesthetically attractive. Applications of Aluminum In...

New 'Artificial Leaf' That Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel

Scientists have created an “artificial leaf” to fight climate change by inexpensively converting harmful carbon dioxide (CO2) into a useful alternative fuel. The new technology, outlined in a paper published on November 4, 2019, in the journal Nature Energy, was inspired by the way plants use energy from sunlight to turn carbon dioxide into food. “We call it an artificial leaf because it mimics real leaves and the process of photosynthesis,” said Yimin Wu, an engineering professor at the University of Waterloo who led the research. “A leaf produces glucose and oxygen. We produce methanol and oxygen.” Making methanol from carbon dioxide, the primary contributor to global warming, would both reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide a substitute for the fossil fuels that create them. The key to the process is a cheap, optimized red powder called cuprous oxide. An hour-long chemical reaction creates the engineered red powder that is the key to new technology to tur...

Personality of The Week: Prof. Samuel Kwofie

Prof. Samuel Kwofie To end this month's Personality Dialogue is the first Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in Ghana, Prof. Samuel Kwofie. He shares with us his rich knowledge and experience. Enjoy the read as you learn along. PROFILE Prof. Samuel Kwofie is the first professor of Materials Science and Engineering in the country. He lectures at the Department of Materials Engineering at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. He is the immediate past Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, formerly the Faculty of Chemical and Materials Engineering. He is an alumnus of Independence Hall in KNUST and Ghana Senior High Technical School (GSTS-Takoradi). He hails from Elmina in the Central Region. His skills and expertise include Powder Metallurgy, X-ray Diffraction, Mechanical Testing, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Failure Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Experimentation, Characterization, Electron Microscopy, among others. ...

History of Man As Determined by The Prevailing Materials Technology of a Particular Era

Compiled by Abena Osei-Anane   [5 min read] The ages of materials technology - PC: pininterest.cl Earth’s beginnings can be traced back 4.5 billion years ago, but human evolution only counts for a tiny speck of its history. The pre-history period where there was no documentation of human activities roughly dates from about 2-5 million years ago to 600BC and is categorised in three archaeological periods: the Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age . These periods are characterised by the prevailing Materials Technology present at a particular time. STONE AGE Getty images The Stone Age was the first age and the longest, from 30,000BC to 3,000BC. This era was marked by the use of stones to make tools and weapons . During the paleolithic period, early humans lived in small caves and were mostly hunters. They used basic stone tools as well as stone axes for hunting birds and other wild animals. They were the first to leave behind art by carving small figurines from stones,...

Be A Survivor -- A Poem By F. Agyemang

Many across the globe are bearing the brunt of Covid19. Some who haven't experienced it can't really imagine its consequences on people and economies. Let us thus relieve ourselves of the stress with this exhilarating poetic piece by @cocajuana_pens You can call me Covid I'm more dangerous than conflict I have no limit And I kill without mercy Cos I have no vaccine Just don't dare me I might end your destiny I'm so wicked! But you can avoid me Stay at home Give a distance And do no hommies For instance If you have to sneeze or cough Just cover it off Don't do it raw Else it'll be an issue So kindly use a tissue Hand washing should be regular That's the normal routine Do it with soap under running water Even if you haven't eaten Wondering how to keep clean? Use a hand sanitizer Just like many diseases I know I won't last forever A vaccine will be made And I will be slayed Until then, you have to be a survivor ...

The 'thinking metal': Shape Memory Alloy

Nitinol wires. PC: Wikpedia By Francis Agyemang, Member of the Editorial Team, MATESA KNUST We are the intelligent metal alloys !!! Yes! People prefer to call us shape memory alloys and it is the name we well deserve. We never forget our shape when thermal or mechanical load is exerted on us. Once the load is removed, we regain our pre-deformed shape. Our thermal deformation is very unique, unlike other metals, we deform under low temperatures and regain our shapes upon heating. Our effect (shape memory effect) was first discovered in an alloy of gold and cadmium (AuCd) by Swedish physicist Arne Olander in 1932. 2D view of nitinol's crystalline structure during cooling/heating cycle The two most prevalent smart alloys are copper-aluminium-nickel (CuAlNi) and nickel-titanium ( Nitinol). Though we have many uses and potential applications, we are commonly used in mending broken bones and making of dental braces. A nitinol paperclip bent and recovered aft...

Metal organic frameworks

Materials that reduce electromagnetic interference between electrical components in advanced electronic circuits and help aircraft, ships, and other military hardware evade radar detection rely on absorbing microwaves. Find out more 👇🏼 https://bit.ly/2JyIvo9 📱Like and follow our pages on Facebook (MATESA KNUST 2019) and Instagram (matesa_knust_19) © Ediboard '19

Vibranium - The Wonder of Wakanda

Black Panther wearing Vibranium suit. PC: ucf.edu If you've ever thought that the Vibranium metal used in the Black Panther movie is a real material, you're possibly mistaken. What is Vibranium? Sourced from a meteorite that landed in Wakanda many centuries ago, Vibranium provides the superpower in the main character’s suit, absorbing energy and redistributing it. Vibranium (/vaɪˈbreɪniəm/) is a fictional metal appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, noted for its extraordinary abilities to absorb, store, and release large amounts of kinetic energy. Mined only in Wakanda, the metal is associated with Black Panther, who wears a suit of vibranium, and with Captain America, who bears a vibranium-steel alloy shield which has never been reproduced. Real-world Material In 2016, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies developed a real-world smart composite material that they named Vibranium. The lightweight carbon fiber material for the Hyperloop ...

The Natural Polymer That Controls Life - DNA!

Some life-forms on earth. PC: Micro [5 min read] In today's post on MATESA TODAY , we want to learn about a natural polymer (giant molecule) that controls all life-forms on Earth - in plants, animals, micro-organisms, etc. This wonderful material carries the instructions that are associated with the transmission of genetic information: the shape of your nose, the colour of your eye, people's height, their skin colour, etc.  This publication gives us some basic insight into  DNA . Sounds quite biochemical, but it has got the Materials Science aspect too - Polymers; though materials scientists primarily deal with synthetic polymers. But we usually take inspiration from nature to do new stuff, more technically, develop novel products. After all, we call it genetic material ! BASIC TERMS DEFINED Polymer means "many parts" and designates a large molecule made up of smaller repeating units. Monomer is a molecule that combines with other molecules of the same ...