Skip to main content

Seater of The Week: Vincent Hussein Tahiru

Meet our Seater for this week, a handsome young gentleman and a defender on the Metallurgical Three team that played during the EPL. He tells us about himself, the department, sports and a whole lot more! Enjoy the interesting interview!

Vincent Tahiru (SOTW)

Who is Mr.Vincent….? (Relationship status: dating, broken up, gnashing)
I Vincent Hussein Tahiru, I come from Tamale but I live in Accra.I went to Achimota school, and yeah I’m dating.

Share with us your experience in secondary school. What is the worst thing you ever did in school which you really regret?
SHS was really cool. Motown is so much fun and filled with a lot of activities, and pretty girls so I liked it a lot. I did every sport some but my specialities were athletics, handball, hockey and football. The thing I regret doing in SHS was staying in class more and not studying enough.

Why did you choose KNUST over the other universities?
Well, KNUST is the best engineering institution in the country and I always wanted to come here and pursue an engineering degree.

Metallurgical Engineering, were you given the programme or you chose it? If the latter, what influenced your choice?
Actually, I wanted to study civil engineering but unfortunately, I got Metallurgy. I chose it as my third choice though, but it’s cool enough. 

Have your expectations with respect to both KNUST and Metallurgical Engineering been met?
Well, a bit but not really. I actually expected more. Campus is cool but I don’t really like how the lecturers disturb us and how people look down on Metallurgy as an engineering program.

Given the opportunity to change something about the department, what will it be?
I don’t like how some of the lecturers in the department treat us--like kids! We’re adults and we shouldn’t be treated like SHS kids. We’re in a university for God’s sake.

Share with us some rumours you heard concerning life on university campus. Verify them.
I don’t take rumours seriously so I don’t remember any.

Assuming it is mandatory to choose a spouse from Materials Engineering three(3),who will she be?Tell us about her.
A spouse from Materials 3? El Freda Narh straight up. She’s just wonderful, she’s cool and very pretty.

Which of the members of the current executive board do you really admire? Why?
I admire our President, Mr.Samuel Afari a lot. He’s extremely down-to-earth and very likeable.

What do you intend doing with Metallurgical Engineering in future?
I’d like to get a nice job in metal processing or extraction company and start my own metal recycling plant and produce construction materials from previously used metals.

Do you have any special awards? Share with us (if any).
'Nerr', I don’t have any major award but they’ll definitely come soon.

Which extracurricular activity (ies) do you engage in mostly?
I play football a lot; I run 400 metres and I’m very good at triple and long jump. I like swimming too.

Where do you want to see yourself in the next decade?
In the next decade, I should have my beautiful family and a successful business. And I’ll start my career in politics God-willing.

What do you do for fun? Who are those who share your belief and ideologies?
I read novels, play games, and visit friends, for fun. My boys: Denis, Kelvin, Pomary, and my brother Victor know the drill. We dey hunt for campus.


SPORTS


Real fan of Real Madrid


What do you think went wrong that led to the eviction of the Metallurgical Engineering team from the EPL?
During the EPL, some of our players weren’t present during the first game and we had limited options so we ended up drawing. If we had won that first game against Telecom, we’d have qualified to the knockout stage of the competition. Also, our forwards have a problem with finishing. We scored just one goal from direct play in the competition. The others were a penalty and a corner which was taken excellently.

Aside from playing as a fullback, where else can you play comfortably? Who is the toughest winger you have ever played against? Which class team, do you enjoy playing against?
I’m a very good striker but I don’t get the chance to show my goal-scoring prowess in my class team. They need me in that defence more. The toughest winger I’ve played against is a guy from Biological Science 3 nicknamed Messi. But I still kept a clean sheet against him and we won that game 1:0, thanks to a brilliant burst of pace from Afari and an excellent goalkeeping from Dennis Amoah. I hurt myself preventing that Messi guy from directing his deadly finesse shots towards our goalkeeper. I like playing against Human Biology 3 because they’re extremely good tactically and discipline-wise, just like Materials 3.

Who is the player of your class team whose presence in the line up boosts your morale? Whose presence is vice versa?
Kelvin Atuiri aka Zatman. He’s a rock as a defensive midfielder and a shield as a center back. All our players are cool except some people who keep discouraging us because they think they’re “disciplined”.

Name your preferred strongest line up of the Metallurgical Engineering team.
My preferred 11: Nana  Kwame as GK; Kay2, Jollof, Kelvin, and myself as defenders; Denis, Raphael, Kefblu, and I wish I could use Kelvin again but let’s go with Asaase as midfielders. And the two Richards; Segu and Richie as strikers. Our team isn’t good at scoring headers so we don’t need any wingers.

Given the chance to choose either Football or Engineering as a full-time career, which one will you go for? Why?
I’ll choose football as a career without a doubt.

Which team do you support? What influenced your choice?
Real Madrid FC is my favourite team. It’s the greatest club in the world. Imagine winning 3 UCL in a row and it’s not even our golden generation because we had the likes of Di Stefano, Kopa, Gento, and Ferenc Puskas making history even before the dawn of the 21st  century. Hands down, the kings of football and the greatest club on earth. HalaMadrid y nada mas.

What was the humiliating defeat your team (fan) suffered that you can’t forget?
I’ll never forget when Real Madrid lost the UEFA super cup to Atletico Madrid after extra time. Our first defeat in a continental club final in the 21st century.

Name a five-man line of your fan team in the order: goalkeeper, two defenders, a midfielder and a striker.
Courtois, Ramos, and Varane, Modric, Hazard.

Tell someone (in the department)something.
To everyone in the department, we’ll surely make it big in the field of materials and metallurgical engineering if we set our minds on it.

Who is your celebrity crush? Why?
My celebrity crush is Amanda Stenberg. She’s the prettiest actress in the world but unfortunately, she’s not straight. I still love her though. Lesbians are hot.


SPORTS QUIZ
Who is Peter Cech’s all-time feared attacker?
Wayne Rooney who played for Everton, Manchester United and in the MLS.

Share with us your last words
My last words: Never give up on anything you want. Thanks for having me as the Sports Personality of the Week.

Thank you too Mr Vincent.





Comments

See Also

Alternate Building Materials Used in The Construction Industry

PC: theconstructor.org Alternate building materials are those which can be used economically by replacing the conventional building materials. Alternate building materials are made from waste products and thus they minimize environmental pollution. These alternate building materials can be used when they meet their respective specifications in the code of practice. Here are some novel construction materials and technology, with some briefly discussed: Aluminum Bitumen Materials Soil Conditioning Agents Tempered Glass Crumb Rubber Fiber Reinforced Polymer Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics Bamboo reinforced plastics Ferro-cement Polyester Fibers ALUMINIUM sound-proof-aluminium-construction. PC: theconstructor.org More than 3000 commercialized applications. 35 percent aluminum produced is used in construction. Non-Corrosive. High durability and low maintenance. Can be alloyed. Ductile and malleable. Aesthetically attractive. Applications of Aluminum In...

New 'Artificial Leaf' That Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel

Scientists have created an “artificial leaf” to fight climate change by inexpensively converting harmful carbon dioxide (CO2) into a useful alternative fuel. The new technology, outlined in a paper published on November 4, 2019, in the journal Nature Energy, was inspired by the way plants use energy from sunlight to turn carbon dioxide into food. “We call it an artificial leaf because it mimics real leaves and the process of photosynthesis,” said Yimin Wu, an engineering professor at the University of Waterloo who led the research. “A leaf produces glucose and oxygen. We produce methanol and oxygen.” Making methanol from carbon dioxide, the primary contributor to global warming, would both reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide a substitute for the fossil fuels that create them. The key to the process is a cheap, optimized red powder called cuprous oxide. An hour-long chemical reaction creates the engineered red powder that is the key to new technology to tur...

Metal organic frameworks

Materials that reduce electromagnetic interference between electrical components in advanced electronic circuits and help aircraft, ships, and other military hardware evade radar detection rely on absorbing microwaves. Find out more 👇🏼 https://bit.ly/2JyIvo9 📱Like and follow our pages on Facebook (MATESA KNUST 2019) and Instagram (matesa_knust_19) © Ediboard '19

Vibranium - The Wonder of Wakanda

Black Panther wearing Vibranium suit. PC: ucf.edu If you've ever thought that the Vibranium metal used in the Black Panther movie is a real material, you're possibly mistaken. What is Vibranium? Sourced from a meteorite that landed in Wakanda many centuries ago, Vibranium provides the superpower in the main character’s suit, absorbing energy and redistributing it. Vibranium (/vaɪˈbreɪniəm/) is a fictional metal appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, noted for its extraordinary abilities to absorb, store, and release large amounts of kinetic energy. Mined only in Wakanda, the metal is associated with Black Panther, who wears a suit of vibranium, and with Captain America, who bears a vibranium-steel alloy shield which has never been reproduced. Real-world Material In 2016, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies developed a real-world smart composite material that they named Vibranium. The lightweight carbon fiber material for the Hyperloop ...

History of Man As Determined by The Prevailing Materials Technology of a Particular Era

Compiled by Abena Osei-Anane   [5 min read] The ages of materials technology - PC: pininterest.cl Earth’s beginnings can be traced back 4.5 billion years ago, but human evolution only counts for a tiny speck of its history. The pre-history period where there was no documentation of human activities roughly dates from about 2-5 million years ago to 600BC and is categorised in three archaeological periods: the Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age . These periods are characterised by the prevailing Materials Technology present at a particular time. STONE AGE Getty images The Stone Age was the first age and the longest, from 30,000BC to 3,000BC. This era was marked by the use of stones to make tools and weapons . During the paleolithic period, early humans lived in small caves and were mostly hunters. They used basic stone tools as well as stone axes for hunting birds and other wild animals. They were the first to leave behind art by carving small figurines from stones,...

The 'thinking metal': Shape Memory Alloy

Nitinol wires. PC: Wikpedia By Francis Agyemang, Member of the Editorial Team, MATESA KNUST We are the intelligent metal alloys !!! Yes! People prefer to call us shape memory alloys and it is the name we well deserve. We never forget our shape when thermal or mechanical load is exerted on us. Once the load is removed, we regain our pre-deformed shape. Our thermal deformation is very unique, unlike other metals, we deform under low temperatures and regain our shapes upon heating. Our effect (shape memory effect) was first discovered in an alloy of gold and cadmium (AuCd) by Swedish physicist Arne Olander in 1932. 2D view of nitinol's crystalline structure during cooling/heating cycle The two most prevalent smart alloys are copper-aluminium-nickel (CuAlNi) and nickel-titanium ( Nitinol). Though we have many uses and potential applications, we are commonly used in mending broken bones and making of dental braces. A nitinol paperclip bent and recovered aft...

Personality of the Week: Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye

Mr Anokye, MATESA PTW For this week, our Personality Dialogue dial falls on a stalwart of the Department, Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye , a level 300 Materials Engineering student. He has great interest in Writing and is specially interested in Foundry Technology. Enjoy the 'ride' with him. Who is Mr Andrew Anokye?  Mr Anokye is a Christian gentleman who believes that as humans we have the greatness within to do more! What was your experience like in secondary school? Secondary school was a great place to be. I enjoyed every bit of my stay in PRESEC-Legon, where I chalked some successes. It was not just a good experience, but a great one. Materials Engineering. Were you given the programme or you really wanted to do it? What informed your decision if you chose it?  I wanted to be a Civil Engineer. My Uncle inspired me and that was my dream program. I was given Materials Engineering and at the beginning, the interest for the program wasn't there. I developed ...

Personality of The Week: Prof. Samuel Kwofie

Prof. Samuel Kwofie To end this month's Personality Dialogue is the first Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in Ghana, Prof. Samuel Kwofie. He shares with us his rich knowledge and experience. Enjoy the read as you learn along. PROFILE Prof. Samuel Kwofie is the first professor of Materials Science and Engineering in the country. He lectures at the Department of Materials Engineering at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. He is the immediate past Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, formerly the Faculty of Chemical and Materials Engineering. He is an alumnus of Independence Hall in KNUST and Ghana Senior High Technical School (GSTS-Takoradi). He hails from Elmina in the Central Region. His skills and expertise include Powder Metallurgy, X-ray Diffraction, Mechanical Testing, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Failure Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Experimentation, Characterization, Electron Microscopy, among others. ...

The Natural Polymer That Controls Life - DNA!

Some life-forms on earth. PC: Micro [5 min read] In today's post on MATESA TODAY , we want to learn about a natural polymer (giant molecule) that controls all life-forms on Earth - in plants, animals, micro-organisms, etc. This wonderful material carries the instructions that are associated with the transmission of genetic information: the shape of your nose, the colour of your eye, people's height, their skin colour, etc.  This publication gives us some basic insight into  DNA . Sounds quite biochemical, but it has got the Materials Science aspect too - Polymers; though materials scientists primarily deal with synthetic polymers. But we usually take inspiration from nature to do new stuff, more technically, develop novel products. After all, we call it genetic material ! BASIC TERMS DEFINED Polymer means "many parts" and designates a large molecule made up of smaller repeating units. Monomer is a molecule that combines with other molecules of the same ...

Aims of the Materials And Metallurgical Engineering Students' Association

The aims of MATESA are a set of five targets on which the wheels of MATESA run. These are visionary goals we strive to achieve as the years pass by; the purpose of our very existence as an association. Below are the aims of our great association, and we all have a part to play to keep MATESA going! 1. Package, promote, and encourage Materials and Metallurgical Engineering education through symposia, industrial trips, conference, exchange programmes and also to carry out our role in the national and technological development as well as the world of science and inventions. Students at an industrial trip Students pose a picture at a field trip 2. Provision of assistance to both the department and its members when the need arises; and also the contribution of our quota to GESA. Our footballers at the Engineering Premier League (EPL) 3. To provide the students with the platform to obtain practical knowledge concerning the programme. Students exhibit their indus...