Skip to main content

Personality of the Week: Emmanuel Kofi Nyarko

Emmanuel Kofi Nyarko

Our premier Personality of the Week for 2020 is Mr Emmanuel Kofi Nyarko,  a third-year, metallurgical engineering student. He tells us about himself, shares with us his thoughts, knowledge and experience. You gotta read this!

Who is Mr Emmanuel Kofi Nyarko? 
Emmanuel Kofi Nyarko is an aspiring metallurgical engineer and also a business tycoon who hopes to impact society positively. I come from Akim Akyease in the Eastern Region.

What was your experience like in secondary school?
Ghana National College was quite interesting place to be. I run for the position of a head boys prefect but didn’t win. Anyways, I think it gave me exposure to the public front.

Metallurgical Engineering. Were you given the programme or you really wanted to do it? What informed your decision if you chose it?
I was given the program but I don’t regret reading Metallurgy.

How has the programme been so far?
So far so good.

Why did you choose KNUST among all the other institutions in the country and beyond?
A science and technology university, I thought reading engineering in KNUST would be of good help and would shape me into the kind of person I wanna be after four years of undergraduate engineering.

Has there been any challenge pertaining to Metallurgical Engineering?
No

What positions have you held so far in your academic life?
Sports Prefect in junior high school.

CEO of Sopina Sobolo. Briefly tell us about your startup.
In first year, I was inspired to start a business though I didn't have the capital to begin. I therefore had to gather some money and was also supported by brothers to start this whole business in second year.

Any achievements or special awards? 
Gentleman of my year batch in SHS.


What or who inspires you?
My dad inspires me.

Which extracurricular activities do usually engage in?
Playing football; I like swimming too.

When it comes to Metallurgical Engineering, what field are you particularly interested in and why?
Mechanical Behavior.

This is because it deals with the aspects of engineering including Strength of Materials, Solid Mechanics and Materials Science; with a deeper understanding of this course, you get to know that without the metallurgist the structures we see standing firm can’t be put up, but they are solid because we’re Core of Engineering Technology.

What do you think about the method of teaching here in the university? Is it helpful, especially for engineering students?
University should actually be a place of diverse thoughts in the lecture room and also during exams but this is the case where we’re taught with 2005/6/7/8 lecture notes. We’re also expected to read a whole lot of slides and then just a portion is brought in exam to test students. It doesn’t 'cut across.'

Do you think the world out there needs Materials and Metallurgical Engineers?
Yes. We’re the core and we form the basics

What should we expect from you in the next few years?
Something big. We just ask for more life and strength.

Please share with us your last words.
I would like to share with you one thing I live  by: Doing it right when no one is watching, which I call INTEGRITY! We all need to uphold this. Thank you very much.

Thank you Mr Emmanuel for your time and patience.

Dear reader, we hope tour time was well served. Please anticipate our next personality.

Comments

See Also

Alternate Building Materials Used in The Construction Industry

PC: theconstructor.org Alternate building materials are those which can be used economically by replacing the conventional building materials. Alternate building materials are made from waste products and thus they minimize environmental pollution. These alternate building materials can be used when they meet their respective specifications in the code of practice. Here are some novel construction materials and technology, with some briefly discussed: Aluminum Bitumen Materials Soil Conditioning Agents Tempered Glass Crumb Rubber Fiber Reinforced Polymer Glass Fiber Reinforced Plastics Bamboo reinforced plastics Ferro-cement Polyester Fibers ALUMINIUM sound-proof-aluminium-construction. PC: theconstructor.org More than 3000 commercialized applications. 35 percent aluminum produced is used in construction. Non-Corrosive. High durability and low maintenance. Can be alloyed. Ductile and malleable. Aesthetically attractive. Applications of Aluminum In...

New 'Artificial Leaf' That Converts Carbon Dioxide Into Fuel

Scientists have created an “artificial leaf” to fight climate change by inexpensively converting harmful carbon dioxide (CO2) into a useful alternative fuel. The new technology, outlined in a paper published on November 4, 2019, in the journal Nature Energy, was inspired by the way plants use energy from sunlight to turn carbon dioxide into food. “We call it an artificial leaf because it mimics real leaves and the process of photosynthesis,” said Yimin Wu, an engineering professor at the University of Waterloo who led the research. “A leaf produces glucose and oxygen. We produce methanol and oxygen.” Making methanol from carbon dioxide, the primary contributor to global warming, would both reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide a substitute for the fossil fuels that create them. The key to the process is a cheap, optimized red powder called cuprous oxide. An hour-long chemical reaction creates the engineered red powder that is the key to new technology to tur...

Personality of The Week: Prof. Samuel Kwofie

Prof. Samuel Kwofie To end this month's Personality Dialogue is the first Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in Ghana, Prof. Samuel Kwofie. He shares with us his rich knowledge and experience. Enjoy the read as you learn along. PROFILE Prof. Samuel Kwofie is the first professor of Materials Science and Engineering in the country. He lectures at the Department of Materials Engineering at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. He is the immediate past Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical and Chemical Engineering, formerly the Faculty of Chemical and Materials Engineering. He is an alumnus of Independence Hall in KNUST and Ghana Senior High Technical School (GSTS-Takoradi). He hails from Elmina in the Central Region. His skills and expertise include Powder Metallurgy, X-ray Diffraction, Mechanical Testing, Scanning Electron Microscopy, Failure Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Experimentation, Characterization, Electron Microscopy, among others. ...

Metal organic frameworks

Materials that reduce electromagnetic interference between electrical components in advanced electronic circuits and help aircraft, ships, and other military hardware evade radar detection rely on absorbing microwaves. Find out more 👇🏼 https://bit.ly/2JyIvo9 📱Like and follow our pages on Facebook (MATESA KNUST 2019) and Instagram (matesa_knust_19) © Ediboard '19

Vibranium - The Wonder of Wakanda

Black Panther wearing Vibranium suit. PC: ucf.edu If you've ever thought that the Vibranium metal used in the Black Panther movie is a real material, you're possibly mistaken. What is Vibranium? Sourced from a meteorite that landed in Wakanda many centuries ago, Vibranium provides the superpower in the main character’s suit, absorbing energy and redistributing it. Vibranium (/vaɪˈbreɪniəm/) is a fictional metal appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, noted for its extraordinary abilities to absorb, store, and release large amounts of kinetic energy. Mined only in Wakanda, the metal is associated with Black Panther, who wears a suit of vibranium, and with Captain America, who bears a vibranium-steel alloy shield which has never been reproduced. Real-world Material In 2016, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies developed a real-world smart composite material that they named Vibranium. The lightweight carbon fiber material for the Hyperloop ...

History of Man As Determined by The Prevailing Materials Technology of a Particular Era

Compiled by Abena Osei-Anane   [5 min read] The ages of materials technology - PC: pininterest.cl Earth’s beginnings can be traced back 4.5 billion years ago, but human evolution only counts for a tiny speck of its history. The pre-history period where there was no documentation of human activities roughly dates from about 2-5 million years ago to 600BC and is categorised in three archaeological periods: the Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age . These periods are characterised by the prevailing Materials Technology present at a particular time. STONE AGE Getty images The Stone Age was the first age and the longest, from 30,000BC to 3,000BC. This era was marked by the use of stones to make tools and weapons . During the paleolithic period, early humans lived in small caves and were mostly hunters. They used basic stone tools as well as stone axes for hunting birds and other wild animals. They were the first to leave behind art by carving small figurines from stones,...

The 'thinking metal': Shape Memory Alloy

Nitinol wires. PC: Wikpedia By Francis Agyemang, Member of the Editorial Team, MATESA KNUST We are the intelligent metal alloys !!! Yes! People prefer to call us shape memory alloys and it is the name we well deserve. We never forget our shape when thermal or mechanical load is exerted on us. Once the load is removed, we regain our pre-deformed shape. Our thermal deformation is very unique, unlike other metals, we deform under low temperatures and regain our shapes upon heating. Our effect (shape memory effect) was first discovered in an alloy of gold and cadmium (AuCd) by Swedish physicist Arne Olander in 1932. 2D view of nitinol's crystalline structure during cooling/heating cycle The two most prevalent smart alloys are copper-aluminium-nickel (CuAlNi) and nickel-titanium ( Nitinol). Though we have many uses and potential applications, we are commonly used in mending broken bones and making of dental braces. A nitinol paperclip bent and recovered aft...

Be A Survivor -- A Poem By F. Agyemang

Many across the globe are bearing the brunt of Covid19. Some who haven't experienced it can't really imagine its consequences on people and economies. Let us thus relieve ourselves of the stress with this exhilarating poetic piece by @cocajuana_pens You can call me Covid I'm more dangerous than conflict I have no limit And I kill without mercy Cos I have no vaccine Just don't dare me I might end your destiny I'm so wicked! But you can avoid me Stay at home Give a distance And do no hommies For instance If you have to sneeze or cough Just cover it off Don't do it raw Else it'll be an issue So kindly use a tissue Hand washing should be regular That's the normal routine Do it with soap under running water Even if you haven't eaten Wondering how to keep clean? Use a hand sanitizer Just like many diseases I know I won't last forever A vaccine will be made And I will be slayed Until then, you have to be a survivor ...

Personality of the Week: Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye

Mr Anokye, MATESA PTW For this week, our Personality Dialogue dial falls on a stalwart of the Department, Mr Andrew Kyeremanteng Anokye , a level 300 Materials Engineering student. He has great interest in Writing and is specially interested in Foundry Technology. Enjoy the 'ride' with him. Who is Mr Andrew Anokye?  Mr Anokye is a Christian gentleman who believes that as humans we have the greatness within to do more! What was your experience like in secondary school? Secondary school was a great place to be. I enjoyed every bit of my stay in PRESEC-Legon, where I chalked some successes. It was not just a good experience, but a great one. Materials Engineering. Were you given the programme or you really wanted to do it? What informed your decision if you chose it?  I wanted to be a Civil Engineer. My Uncle inspired me and that was my dream program. I was given Materials Engineering and at the beginning, the interest for the program wasn't there. I developed ...
 Meet our personality of the week,our Immediate Past President Mr.Samuel Kweku Afari Can you tell us about yourself?   I am Samuel Kweku Afari, born on the 4th of March 1998. I am 23 years of age and I pride myself to be the only child of my parents. I come from Abesim in the Bono Region where I started the earlier part of my junior high education at Sacred Heart Preparatory School.  I moved to Tarkwa to continue my junior education at Golden Age School complex and that is where I had my Basic Education Certificate after completion in 2014. By God’s grace, I went on to have my senior high school education at St John’s School in Sekondi where I read General Science. Whilst in St. Johns School I served as the Sports Prefect (2016/2017). I completed St. Johns School in the year 2017 and by God’s grace had the opportunity to start my university education the same year at my dream university, KNUST.  I am currently in my final year reading BSc. Metallurgical Engineering a...